Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Won't Render 3D correctly sometimes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think my specs are pretty formidable however, dolphin is not cooperating. I have tried both vanilla Dolphin and Ishiiruka Dolphin. What happens is this:

I can ONLY play twilight princess with OpenGL and WITHOUT texture packs (the texture packs are properly converted). I can use any internal resolution etc but for starters was using 1x. I switch to Direct 3D, I get the wii mote safety, then black screen hangs, no errors. I can safely close this out. If I add a texture pack to OGL, I get a black screen freeze like D3D.

Skyward Sword will not work properly ishiiruka either. I can launch the game with OpenGL but it will give me a bad pixel shader error and the DOF effect is totally broken. And DX11 looks like butt and has a multiple vertices extended to infinity. The game works in D3D in vanilla dolphin however when ending emulation the window hangs and I must end it via task manager.

Xenoblade I can use HD Texture packs and it seems to work ok.

I searched and cant find anything on this phenomon except checking my nvidia CP. I have attached a screen shot showing me turning off all options that could affect dolphin as instructed before. I am also aware of the Zelda uCode issues and am using LLE in recompiler mode.

Is there any idea why this is happening? It's very confusing. Is there a way to get you guys any other logs for this?

edit: yes I tried disabling SLI as well and the same issues are present.
The vertices stretching to infinity is caused by having JITIL enabled, switch to JIT and the issue should go away.
(04-27-2015, 11:06 PM)msharp116 Wrote: [ -> ]The vertices stretching to infinity is caused by having JITIL enabled, switch to JIT and the issue should go away.

I am actually using regular old JIT, not the JITIL. I just verified that. Reading the forums this morning, I noticed a black screen issue with Punchout topic, and I did note that PAL60 is checked in my settings. I will try turning that off, however, my personal copy of Skyward sword I ripped is PAL (for german language), should I get the USA one and just play in English if I want a better experience?
(04-28-2015, 12:36 AM)marscat85 Wrote: [ -> ]Reading the forums this morning, I noticed a black screen issue with Punchout topic, and I did note that PAL60 is checked in my settings. I will try turning that off, however, my personal copy of Skyward sword I ripped is PAL (for german language), should I get the USA one and just play in English if I want a better experience?

That's not necessary. Some NTSC games crash when PAL60 is enabled because they weren't meant to run on PAL consoles, but there's no problem with PAL games.
(04-28-2015, 02:00 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]That's not necessary. Some NTSC games crash when PAL60 is enabled because they weren't meant to run on PAL consoles, but there's no problem with PAL games.

Well my Twilight Princess IS NTSC. So I will report if this fixes that particular issue though very strange that opengl will let it run regardless.
(04-28-2015, 03:32 AM)marscat85 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-28-2015, 02:00 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]That's not necessary. Some NTSC games crash when PAL60 is enabled because they weren't meant to run on PAL consoles, but there's no problem with PAL games.

Well my Twilight Princess IS NTSC. So I will report if this fixes that particular issue though very strange that opengl will let it run regardless.

I've just confirmed disabling PAL60 does NOT fix the d3d issue for NTSC twilight princess. Any other ideas or should I open a bug report?
(04-28-2015, 09:17 AM)marscat85 Wrote: [ -> ]

I've just confirmed disabling PAL60 does NOT fix the d3d issue for NTSC twilight princess. Any other ideas or should I open a bug report?

Wait, if you use dolphin ishiiruka as you mentioned then don't, it is an unofficial build and only has support in it's own thread.
(04-28-2015, 06:57 PM)Link_to_the_past Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-28-2015, 09:17 AM)marscat85 Wrote: [ -> ]

Wait, if you use dolphin ishiiruka as you mentioned then don't, it is an unofficial build and only has support in it's own thread.

I am simply stating I have tried both and they both give wildly different results.
I've made SOME progress on this issue. Disabling Dual Core helps a LOT. I have no idea why dual core works with OpenGL and no texture packs for twilight princess. However, once I turn it off, D3D (Which still looks like butt, even in vanilla dolphin for some reason) works and I can load high resolution textures. Is there a race condition or semaphore held when starting 3D rendering with dual core or something? Moving this to it's own core certainly helps, though games are mostly playable without it.

Any thoughts?
Further progress. Since doing more research about the dual core problem I discovered games like fzero have issues documented and it described a setting called sync GPU thread that seems to work. Any idea why this phenomena seems unique to my system and no one else needs it for twilight princess?

Texture packs are working in open gl now. Luckily I'm getting about 22-27 fps in hyrule field without the hack too on this rig so it's exciting.