Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin TAP alternatives
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anybody know of other TAP drivers that work with Dolphin under Windows 7 besides the ones from OpenVPN? I ask because OpenVPN's TAP driver seems to interfere with my network printer; whenever I have it installed, I get an Event ID 512 error in my event log every time I boot the machine:

Code:
InitializePrintProvider failed for provider inetpp.dll. This can occur because of system instability or a lack of system resources.

Both 9.9.2_3 and 9.21.1 versions cause the same error, and if I uninstall the TAP driver, the error goes away. I wanted to try another TAP driver to see if it works correctly, but I haven't been able to find any alternatives. Theoretically virtual machine software would also need a TAP driver to let the OS in your VM access your network adapter, but the most I've been able to find on the subject is that VirtualBox used to have a TAP driver (ca. 2008) but that they made some kind of update so that a TAP driver was no longer needed. My only other idea is to try installing VMware to see if Dolphin can use the TAP adapter from that, but VMware is pretty big and could come with its own problems. Any ideas? Undecided
The code in Dolphin is written to explicitly communicate with OpenVPN so nothing else will work without changing it.
Thanks, at least that saves me the trouble of installing alternatives that definitely won't work.

Looking at the networking methods in VirtualBox, it does seem that there is at least the possibility that Dolphin could be changed to no longer need a TAP driver to support the BBA if Dolphin had a NAT mode:

VirtualBox manual Wrote:The network frames sent out by the guest operating system are received by VirtualBox's NAT engine, which extracts the TCP/IP data and resends it using the host operating system. To an application on the host, or to another computer on the same network as the host, it looks like the data was sent by the VirtualBox application on the host, using an IP address belonging to the host. VirtualBox listens for replies to the packages sent, and repacks and resends them to the guest machine on its private network.

If Dolphin could behave similarly by encasing the BBA behind a virtual router, then a TAP adapter wouldn't be needed anymore. The LAN games would probably need port forwarding to work, but since there aren't that many of them, it would probably be practical to just automatically forward the ports that they need to connect.

I guess the good news is that VirtualBox is GPLv2, and thus it might be possible to use some of its methodologies in Dolphin if anybody were willing to port the code. If my C skills weren't so rudimentary, I'd try to do it myself.

Qaazavaca Qaanic

What network printer are you using? I have OVPN and networked Canon printers working fine.
The printer itself says HP LaserJet 6MP, but the properties dialogue in Windows says it's an HP LaserJet 2200 Series PCL 5. I've searched for ways to rectify the error, but I can find barely any other mentions of event ID 512 anywhere, let alone how one would go about fixing it. At this point I'm thinking that my only option is to uninstall the printer and give up the ability to print for the sake of having the TAP driver work correctly, and that's not exactly a tradeoff I'm eager to make. I've already asked for help on the OpenVPN forum and have yet to receive a workaround.
(04-25-2015, 10:00 AM)Aleron Ives Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, at least that saves me the trouble of installing alternatives that definitely won't work.

Looking at the networking methods in VirtualBox, it does seem that there is at least the possibility that Dolphin could be changed to no longer need a TAP driver to support the BBA if Dolphin had a NAT mode:

VirtualBox manual Wrote:The network frames sent out by the guest operating system are received by VirtualBox's NAT engine, which extracts the TCP/IP data and resends it using the host operating system. To an application on the host, or to another computer on the same network as the host, it looks like the data was sent by the VirtualBox application on the host, using an IP address belonging to the host. VirtualBox listens for replies to the packages sent, and repacks and resends them to the guest machine on its private network.

If Dolphin could behave similarly by encasing the BBA behind a virtual router, then a TAP adapter wouldn't be needed anymore. The LAN games would probably need port forwarding to work, but since there aren't that many of them, it would probably be practical to just automatically forward the ports that they need to connect.

I guess the good news is that VirtualBox is GPLv2, and thus it might be possible to use some of its methodologies in Dolphin if anybody were willing to port the code. If my C skills weren't so rudimentary, I'd try to do it myself.

BBA emulation would not work properly with NAT since it uses protocols below TCP/UDP (ARP, IGMP, etc).
I guess my only options are removing my printer or hoping OpenVPN fixes the TAP driver at some point, then. Sad