Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Buying a new Laptop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone,

My laptop beeing almost dead i need to find a replacement. Angel

I would like to be able to play mostly GC games (Zelda games, tales of,...) and i would like to spend 500-1000 euro for it.

any welcome in finding the right laptop wich offer the best "bangs for the bucks" would be welcome Shy

Please bear in mind i am not a computer "expert" so i would prefere buying a lapto as it is instead of assembling my own.

Thanks for the help Tongue
One, you can't assemble your own laptop anyway- they're all highly integrated and custom.

Two, no laptop is great for Dolphin. Sufficiently high-end ones will probably run most games, but it'll never have the performance of a desktop and you always have the problem of thermal throttling. Not to mention any such laptop will be heavy, run hot, and have poor battery life- negating most of the advantages of a laptop.

Three, you don't need to be a computer expert to assemble a desktop. Get someone to confirm that your parts will be compatible before you buy them, and watch some YouTube tutorials to see how to put everything together.

Fourth, even buying a pre-build desktop computer (and I really don't advise it) is still a better idea than buying a laptop.

Is there a reason you really, really need a laptop instead of a desktop? Like, you're continually travelling or something?
(04-20-2015, 10:49 PM)IVCrumpet Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a reason you really, really need a laptop instead of a desktop? Like, you're continually travelling or something?

i am going to travel around for study in the next 2/3 years and i would have liked to avoid having to transport my desktop with me Smile

i guess i was underestimating the cpu required to emulate The GC since i have managed to run project 64 with my current laptop( and it is not a very powerfull one^^)
(04-20-2015, 11:13 PM)Talmaduvi Wrote: [ -> ]i am going to travel around for study in the next 2/3 years and i would have liked to avoid having to transport my desktop with me Smile
Okay well it depends on your exact circumstances I suppose- you could get a small case with a convenient carry handle, minimise cables, get an SSD so you don't need to worry so much if it falls in transit, etc. I'll let someone else advise what case, PSU, motherboard and such to get.

(04-20-2015, 11:13 PM)Talmaduvi Wrote: [ -> ]i guess i was underestimating the cpu required to emulate The GC since i have managed to run project 64 with my current laptop( and it is not a very powerfull one^^)
Yeah, you can run an N64 emulator on a phone even. (Truly accurate emulation is another matter, but that's true for anything)

The important part is that you have a recent Haswell Intel CPU with a high clock speed, such as the Core i5-4690K- the K indicates that it can be overclocked if you like.

If you must have a laptop your options are way more limited, and I don't really want to recommend anything.
Most gaming laptops with dedicated GPUs also have separate heatsinks for the CPU and GPU to prevent thermal throttling.

I have a gaming laptop, and when I'm on battery power (and not gaming/using high-power Nvidia card) I can get about 5 hours of work or so. Gaming drops it down to about 3 hours usually.

While it is true that a high-end desktop will always run things better, you can still have a great gaming experience on a laptop with the right parts. Look into the Sager brand of laptops, as they're some of the most highly customizable gaming laptops (the NP8 series and above have dedicated heatsinks for optimal gaming).
(04-20-2015, 10:49 PM)IVCrumpet Wrote: [ -> ]One, you can't assemble your own laptop anyway- they're all highly integrated and custom.

FALSE!

It's a pain in the ass, but certainly possible. But, I would suggest getting a Sager one like KH suggested.
Sager's laptops look very cool, but they also look expensive ^^

Anyway, i will use the laptop mostly to work and run games like dota2, and less demanding steam games, i would have liked to be able to play came cube games, but it is not a condition Sine qua non.

I will try to make it fit in my budget anyway Smile
if you get a normal multimedia laptop and play game on it , 100% it will overheat and die slowly (thermal compound)
In order to avoid overheating , you should get a customizable laptopwith aftermarket thermal paste like arctic mx-4 or ic diamond 7 carat
Sager is my recommendation
(04-21-2015, 05:37 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]if you get a normal multimedia laptop and play game on it , 100% it will overheat and die slowly (thermal compound)
In order to avoid overheating , you should get a customizable laptopwith aftermarket thermal paste like arctic mx-4 or ic diamond 7 carat
Sager is my recommendation

I have been looking at sager's NP7339 and the only option for cooling is: IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU [+$35.00], do you think it is worth it or i should just buy when it when the standard compound dry out since it is way cheaper ( i just discovered you need to replace de paste from time to time, that may habe been the reason of my current laptom demise)
standard thermal paste is utter garbage (even if it comes from apple macbook)
Arctic MX-4 can last 8 years under heavy usage while most standard thermal paste will wear out shortly
Pages: 1 2