Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Audio delay in 4.0 description and solution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

CrackpotBeardsley

In dolphin 4.0 there is a noticeable audio delay of about .2 seconds or more (i didn't measure). I tried every possible combination of settings in the audio menu to solve it but nothing worked. It was driving me nuts. I then tried dolphin 3.5 and have it set to DSP HLE, DSP LLE on Thread, and XAudio2 backend and the delay went away completely (again I didn't measure but it was a day and night difference). I had no problems with the audio quality in either version except for the delay.

The game I was using in these tests was wind waker. I also have this game for the gamecube system with a crt tv so I was using that as my reference point.

I wanted to share my success story with everyone because I I'm not sure how anyone can enjoy these great classic games with that much audio delay.

If any developers are reading this, please PLEASE PLEASE!! go back to that old audio code or at least put in an option to use the old algorithm in the current build. Thanks for the great emulator.

Qaazavaca Qaanic

Did you try the dev builds? They are faster, more stable, and have tons of fixed bugs.
https://dolphin-emu.org/download/
Look near the top of the page, DON'T scroll to the bottom.
That bug was fixed long ago in the development builds. If you want to get rid of it, use a build newer than 4.0.2, not a build that's older than 4.0.2.
4.0 is also an unsupported build, as there were critical dual core bugs in it. You need at the very least 4.0.2, but even that is inferior to the latest dev builds that are way faster and don't have the delay.

CrackpotBeardsley

Thanks for the info. I will be sure to try out the newer dev builds.
I did "fix" some audio latency issues a long time ago, but I can't remember if it was before or after 4.0. But on the dev builds, the audio latency should be somewhere near 50 ms. 200 ms is by far too much.