Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Just pieced together my new rig!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Its the one in my sig. The 4690K was the easiest overclock EVER!

I just set vcore to 1.28 and the multi to 45. I added XMP and I was off. 2 minutes tops...so great!

However my 970 wont overclock at all....but i would rather have an overclocked CPU anyways so you take what you can get Smile

Thoughts?
Nice I love how much easier it is to overcook now compared to 10 years ago.
(04-20-2015, 05:09 AM)IceStrike256 Wrote: [ -> ]I love how much easier it is to overcook now (compared to 10 years ago).

1. Remove the CPU cooler
2. Insert an NVIDIA Thermi ™ GPU Grill in the PCI-E x16 slot Smile
Why do you want to overcook your CPU, IceStrike? I prefer mine golden brown and delicious
(04-20-2015, 04:22 AM)haddockd Wrote: [ -> ]Its the one in my sig. The 4690K was the easiest overclock EVER!

I just set vcore to 1.28 and the multi to 45. I added XMP and I was off. 2 minutes tops...so great!

However my 970 wont overclock at all....but i would rather have an overclocked CPU anyways so you take what you can get Smile

Thoughts?

You'll probably want to see if you can get the cache ratio up to match the multiplier, as most 1150 motherboards, when left to auto, match the multiplier until 38 is reached, and then hold there unless it's manually increased. Then again, I've just left it at 38 for months, and nothing bad has happened - it just might get faster if I did things properly instead of picking a multiplier and voltage and discovering that it works.
Lol! Damn autocorrect. Big Grin
If your CPU is good, you can overclock it to 4.4GHz or 4.5Ghz without even changing the voltage. Mine can do 4.8GHz without touching the voltage.
(04-20-2015, 04:22 AM)haddockd Wrote: [ -> ]However my 970 wont overclock at all

970's are not really made for enthusiast OC rigs are they. In the 900 range it sits bottom but 1.

(04-20-2015, 04:00 PM)tuanming Wrote: [ -> ]If your CPU is good, you can overclock it to 4.4GHz or 4.5Ghz without even changing the voltage. Mine can do 4.8GHz without touching the voltage.

Lucky, although these refresh chips clock like they were binned so they all seem to clock well.
Just makes me all the more annoyed at the chunk of s**t chip I ended up with. But hey-ho never mind.

(04-20-2015, 11:19 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]You'll probably want to see if you can get the cache ratio up to match the multiplier, as most 1150 motherboards, when left to auto, match the multiplier until 38 is reached, and then hold there unless it's manually increased. Then again, I've just left it at 38 for months, and nothing bad has happened - it just might get faster if I did things properly instead of picking a multiplier and voltage and discovering that it works.

This idea is unfashionable.

<lol, this was where I went on some rant about OC, but decided against posting it>
Quote:This idea is unfashionable.
Which bit? Have I been doing the right thing by completely ignoring the cache ratio?
(04-20-2015, 11:03 PM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:This idea is unfashionable.
Which bit? Have I been doing the right thing by completely ignoring the cache ratio?

I would argue that your rig will perform better with a smaller gap between core / cache. But others would argue that it's all about core speed.

Ofc the truth is somewhere in the middle. Some applications will benefit from pure core speed at the expense of cache speed (like Dolphin), but again, I would argue that they are in the minority.

If you choose to go for the tuned core / cache / memory speed idea like me then be prepared to give it an extended test (a week at least) to see how it feels overall.

Many argue that matching core / cache / memory is unnecessary with todays chips, but I think that these 3 components are capable of being tuned to give more than the sum of the parts.

It's a personal view, Save your current bios setup, and go for cache = core -1 -2 or -3max = memory x2 + some, not - any.
i.e. 44 = 46 (-2) = 42.66 (2133x2) + a bit
Pages: 1 2