Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is it possible to play games that were released as apps on Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey all, new to Dolphin and only really a novice as far as PC's in general go but i'm a fast learner. After alot of researching forums and asking questions on here i've managed to get my whole Wii/GameCube collection working by having 2 separate versions of Dolphin because some games work better on one version than the other. Ok, now this might seem abit of a strange question to ask but is it possible to play games that were released as apps on Dolphin? One game i'm really missing now is called Pissed - it's a urinating simulator (the same one PewDiePie played) Back when i had a Wii/Wii U and had the Hombrew Channel installed i loved playing this game but for strange reason it wasn't released as a Wiiware title or wad file - it was actually released as an app and the only way to play it was to open the Homebrew Channel and click on the tab. Strange. Anyways for those that don't know it, here it is. Any suggestions?

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Pissed

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Processor/CPU: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz 2.83GHz
Video Card/GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6800
Memory/RAM: 4GB
Homebrew (unlicensed) games are never ever released as WiiWare, and I don't think they tend to be released as WADs either, so this is completely normal. You should be able to run the game if you put the game's files on a virtual SD card, insert the virtual SD card in Dolphin, and then launch the .dol/.elf file using Dolphin's Open button. Because Dolphin's virtual SD card is stored as the file "sd.raw" and not a folder, getting the files in there is a bit more complicated than copying files to a real SD card. I personally use the software OSFMount to mount sd.raw so that I can copy the files normally, but I'm pretty sure there also are other ways to do it.
There was actually at least once instance of a homebrew app being turned into an official wiiware title.
(04-20-2015, 01:44 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Homebrew (unlicensed) games are never ever released as WiiWare, and I don't think they tend to be released as WADs either, so this is completely normal. You should be able to run the game if you put the game's files on a virtual SD card, insert the virtual SD card in Dolphin, and then launch the .dol/.elf file using Dolphin's Open button. Because Dolphin's virtual SD card is stored as the file "sd.raw" and not a folder, getting the files in there is a bit more complicated than copying files to a real SD card. I personally use the software OSFMount to mount sd.raw so that I can copy the files normally, but I'm pretty sure there also are other ways to do it.

I downloaded OSFMount but now have no idea what to do. Could you please explain in easy step-by step ways what to do now? Thanks.
(04-20-2015, 02:50 AM)tueidj Wrote: [ -> ]There was actually at least once instance of a homebrew app being turned into an official wiiware title.

Wow, so there are exceptions... It's nice to hear that Nintendo were willing to do things like that Smile

(04-20-2015, 03:47 AM)ChronicMasturbator Wrote: [ -> ]I downloaded OSFMount but now have no idea what to do. Could you please explain in easy step-by step ways what to do now? Thanks.

First, make sure that Dolphin's Insert SD Card checkbox in the Wii tab is enabled. This will create sd.raw if it doesn't exist already. Next, go to OSFMount and press Mount new... In the window that pops up, you need to set the image file to sd.raw. It will be located in Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Wii\raw.sd. Most of the default settings in the window are fine, except you must uncheck Read-only drive. I also check Mount as removable media when I use it, but I don't know if it makes any difference. Now, once you've set the image file and unchecked Read-only drive, you can press OK, and the SD card will show up as a regular drive on your computer. You can then copy the files just like you would with a real SD card. Once you're done, you need to dismount the drive in OSFMount. If Dolphin is running emulation while sd.raw is mounted, I think there could be some sort of problem.

EDIT: Oh, and you'll need to keep a copy of boot.dol outside of the SD card so that you can launch it in Dolphin.
(04-20-2015, 04:35 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-20-2015, 02:50 AM)tueidj Wrote: [ -> ]There was actually at least once instance of a homebrew app being turned into an official wiiware title.

Wow, so there are exceptions... It's nice to hear that Nintendo were willing to do things like that Smile

(04-20-2015, 03:47 AM)ChronicMasturbator Wrote: [ -> ]I downloaded OSFMount but now have no idea what to do. Could you please explain in easy step-by step ways what to do now? Thanks.

First, make sure that Dolphin's Insert SD Card checkbox in the Wii tab is enabled. This will create sd.raw if it doesn't exist already. Next, go to OSFMount and press Mount new... In the window that pops up, you need to set the image file to sd.raw. It will be located in Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Wii\raw.sd. Most of the default settings in the window are fine, except you must uncheck Read-only drive. I also check Mount as removable media when I use it, but I don't know if it makes any difference. Now, once you've set the image file and unchecked Read-only drive, you can press OK, and the SD card will show up as a regular drive on your computer. You can then copy the files just like you would with a real SD card. Once you're done, you need to dismount the drive in OSFMount. If Dolphin is running emulation while sd.raw is mounted, I think there could be some sort of problem.

EDIT: Oh, and you'll need to keep a copy of boot.dol outside of the SD card so that you can launch it in Dolphin.

I followed your instructions but when i got to the part where you said "you need to set the image file to sd.raw. It will be located in Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Wii\raw.sd." I couldn't find any sd.raw file. I tried it on both versions and i went to Dolphin Emulator and then Wii and on both there was nothing there but other folders. Before you might say it, i have a "portable" txt file in the main folder of one of my Dolphin version to keep them from interacting with each other so i did also check the folder where i have the main folder located for that version on my PC and again in the Wii folder of that there was no sd.raw file - again just more folders.
Hmm... I thought checking the Insert SD Card checkbox was enough to make Dolphin create sd.raw, but maybe not. Try launching a Wii game while Insert SD Card is enabled.
(04-20-2015, 05:30 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm... I thought checking the Insert SD Card checkbox was enough to make Dolphin create sd.raw, but maybe not. Try launching a Wii game while Insert SD Card is enabled.

Again i did everything you said and no sd.raw file in the Wii folder of either. I took a screenshot of what the Wii folder on both looks like (they're identical) and included it as an attachment.
That's weird. When you played the game, did you try to make a save file? The virtual SD card doesn't generate until it's needed.
(04-20-2015, 08:05 AM)NKF98 Wrote: [ -> ]That's weird. When you played the game, did you try to make a save file? The virtual SD card doesn't generate until it's needed.

That makes no sense, games don't write their savefiles to SD cards. The card would have to exist and be formatted correctly before anything attempted writing to it.
Pages: 1 2 3