Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Here we go again...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Red17

Apologies for starting yet another thread on this subject, but I am in desperate need of a new PC. So I think building one would be both better financially and also a pretty rewarding experience.

I have trawled this forum and the internet in general for the most part of today, and my head is spinning from all the information!

Essentially all I want is a PC to perform normal day-to-day tasks and, most importantly, run Dolphin. TLoZ:WW is the game I really want to run, but would like the option for other GC and maybe some Wii games too.

So, in layman's terms if possible, would anyone be able to give me a list of all I'll need to start from scratch please?

'pcpartpicker' seems to be the site of choice I've noticed, so if anyone feels generous enough to compile the list for me on there that would be most appreciated (also I am from the UK so in £)!

My budget is really up to £700 (about $1000), but am open to a little more if absolutely needed. Parts seem more expensive here unfortunately...
This is what I would build for general gaming, I have gone big on the GPU, which is not required for GC emulation, but that's just me.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Gwq7qs

I would also suggest shopping around with GPU's, Nvidia official partners usually have games throw in, Witcher 3 was the latest offer. Cheapest is not always cheapest if you were going to buy the game anyways.
$1000 USD is plenty to make a Dolphin PC. If I were you, I would use Zooke's build and add an internal 1TB HDD and HID as needed. His build can run modern games too, like AC4 (which I just started playing and have fallen in love) and most every game coming out in the next decade (maybe) at high settings.
(04-20-2015, 07:18 AM)NKF98 Wrote: [ -> ]$1000 USD is plenty to make a Dolphin PC. If I were you, I would use Zooke's build and add an internal 1TB HDD and HID as needed. His build can run modern games too, like AC4 (which I just started playing and have fallen in love) and most every game coming out in the next decade (maybe) at high settings.

I had an extra 3TB HDD in the build at £75, but removed it to get to the price point.
Great minds think alike.

Red17

Hey, thanks for the replies.

Certainly given me plenty to go on. Although I think I may go a little less on the GPU (if I can get away with 750 for example...) and use the money saved for the aforementioned HDD! I am not overly fussed with regular PC gaming as I have a PS4 already, but nice to have the option.
It's nice to have a PC gaming capable rig, since there will be exclusive games not available on the PS4 that you might want to play (most Xbox exclusives come out on Windows iirc)

@Zooke My brother has two 10TB HDDs in a server of his. He basically has a blu-ray video streaming service (which I have access to Wink). It's crazy to think that just 30 years ago, 256MB drives were larger and more expensive than our entire computers.