Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Asus S46CB on Dolphin - Core i7 3517U + GT 740M.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I already have a gaming PC where I play Dolphin and it runs very well (Core i5 4670K + GTX 760). My last notebook was stolen and now I'm looking for a new one. This Asus model is good on Dolphin? I already know, it's a ultra low voltage CPU and not as good as normal mobile ones.

This model seems to be only available in Brazil: http://www.asus.com/br/Notebooks_Ultrabo...fications/, and costs here US$ 846.

Specifications:

*Processor: Core i7 3517U 1.9GHz (2.8GHz 2-cores turbo);
*Memory: 6GB DDR3;
*Video Card: GT 740M 2GB GDDR3 (aparently, the faster GK107 128 bit version);
*Storage: 1TB 5400 rpm HDD + 24GB mSata SSD;
*Screen: 14'' LED 1366x768p.

Will it be able to run less demanding games like Super Smash Bros. Brawl at full speed with two players? And more demanding games like Starfox Adventures? It will be possible to raise the graphics? I will be using a Themaltake 23cm fan cooling base too, but not all the time.

I could also choose an Asus X550LN-BRA-DM549H, with a 15.6'' Full HD LED screen, Core i5 4210U, 8GB memory, 750GB HDD and Geforce GT 840M for US$ 793. The performance is pretty much the same? Which one would you buy?
It'll probably be fine, I would suggest the one with the i5 though.
Definitely the i5, as it is a Haswell CPU, which is about 30% faster clock-for-clock compared to the 3rd gen i7
It also has more RAM and better GPU
Thanks for the help.

So, the laptop with Core i5 4210U is a little faster? And any of these can run the mentioned games at full speed (and 2xIR, at least)?

My old laptop was heavy and large. Even the 15.6'' mentioned is considerably smaller and lighter, but I want a laptop to take to the college some times, and now I will look for something easier to carry. I will go to the store and ask to do a side by side comparison to see if the difference is really noticeable. And the mSata SSD is something to think about too.

Anyway, if I choose any of these, it will be able to run at least Brawl with two players then? I hate slowdowns. It'll be very fun to play Brawl with some friends at free times at the college.
The laptop with the i5 4210u is *significantly* faster, and can definitely run a number of games at 2xIR depending on the clock. Brawl is not a very demanding game, so yeah you can easily play that at 100% and have graphical buffs.
Really neither of them are ideal for Dolphin. But to play Brawl 2 player, I would put money on the i5 laptop.
You can always buy an mSSD
I7 3517U with 640M LE.To make you an idea.

I recommend you the branch Ishiiruka, for this slow systems.

Thanks again for the answers.

I'll be going to the US on July, so I'll wait and buy something more adequate for Dolphin there - since it's more cheap. I was aware about the size and weight of especific gaming laptops, but I saw some new models from Asus and Aorus and they're very thin and light. I changed my mind.

Anyway, I bought an Asus T100 convertible tablet for studying until this time. I know it's far away from being adequate for Dolphin, but it will be able to run some games? The very light ones? It has an Atom Z3775 Bay Trail processor (quad-core @ 1.46 GHz), integrated graphics and 2 GB ram.
Very slowly, but maybe lightweight games
heh, good luck playing anything at a reasonable speed with an Atom@1.46. The surface pros and higher end tablets are coming along in Dolphin performance though