Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Should I buy a new laptop or dedicated dolphin box?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

dtron

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro with the following specs:
2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

I want to run SSBM & Project M Netplay, but my computer doesn't seem fast enough. Obviously it's kinda old, and I could afford to buy a new Macbook. Would a newer one run these games at full speed, or am I better off building a dedicated PC (with a budget of ~$400)? I can't spend too much on a dedicated PC because I'd rather use a Mac for work.
If you plan to get a new Macbook Pro, I'll bet that would be more than enough to run SSBM and probably PM too. I don't know how far you can push graphical enhancements with them, but they certainly ought to run at base settings. Probably more than that too, but I don't have personal experience in that regard.

dtron

Awesome, thank you! Any MBP or just the top-end one? Seems to be a pretty big difference between the two.
I have the 2013 late macbook pro 15" (the higher end non custom model with the discrete graphics). I'm sure you can get a used one fairly cheap.

I have been running xenoblade chronicles at 4x resolution (almost twice 1080p) without too many hiccups. As long as you run it in windowed mode and not full screen (even if you have to extend the edges of the window to the edge of your screen). I don't know why, but it runs 10x smoother that way.
I can even mirror it to my 60" hdtv hooked up to my Apple t.v. module, ps4 controller, and it runs great. (Minor sound stutters here and there but I got those bugs ironed out).

I have not tried any other games yet, but I'd imagine if it can do xenoblade at insane resolution pretty smooth it should be able to run most if not all wii games.

I'm building a dedicated emulator soon so I can use dolphin on Windows (better compatibility), but the MBP works great if that's all you have.
A dedicated PC for $400-$500 is perfectly capable of running Dolphin well. I wouldn't suggest getting a Macbook for Dolphin, just because OSX drivers have some compatibility problems with Dolphin and it generally doesn't run Dolphin as well.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/33FZK8
This build (when you overclock it) will cut through Dolphin with buttery smoothness.