Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Which processor is better?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
*This post is not targeted to Dolphin or emulation*

I have a co-worker that asked me which processor is better. He is looking to buy a laptop for general purposes. Keep in mind he will not be using any emulators on it. I figured the team would know better in hardware than me. Also give a little explanation as why its better (speed GHz, etc.) Thank you.

1) Intel Celeron N2840

2) AMD E1-2100 w/ AMD Radeon HD 8210 IGP
General purposes as in what? Is he going to be compiling, running large programs and such, or is he just going to be checking email and facebook? I'm partial to Intel just because but AMD is a great bang-for-your-buck company. If he won't be doing anything particularly intensive I would go for the AMD.
The celeron is clocked way higher, is more efficient, better single core speeds, better dual core speeds, and uses less energy.

Both of them suck though. What's their budget/reason of use? Because there are wayyyyy better systems than either of those
General as in everyday use (Google maps, movies, web surfing, etc.) No compiling, no large programs. I've never owned AMD before so I figured Intel would be better across boards. Yes I do agree that both of these CPU's are horrible though but hey...he doesn't know any better. By looking at his price search his budget looks to be in the $300 range.
I can't recommend any of those:
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-Duo-...eron-N2840
The Celeron is apparently a tiny bit faster than that AMD cpu, but it's still slower than my 8 (!) years old notebook cpu(Intel Core 2 Duo T5600 1.8 Ghz). Simply put, with both cpus, the main activity on that computer(notebook?) will be waiting, especially if paired with a HDD.

Well, those cpus have one advantage over my old cpu: Lower power consumption. Battery times should be good, if the battery is not sized down as well.

Also, if there's going to be Windows 7 or later on that machine, keep in mind that you need 4 GB RAM. The 2 GB minimum requirement of Win 7+ is a mean joke, it performs horrible with just 2 GB.
The Celeron has newer architecture with better instruction sets, so it'll probably perform better with newer programs. But yes, it will suffer if paired with a HDD, like any low-end CPU.

@cryax33: get his actual budget, and we'll find something way better.
Yes, his budget is on the $300 range, although I assume you'll find something either on the same or slightly better spec'd for the buck.