Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: intel or amd
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hello all of us, i'm not english, may I'm not going to explain good what I ask, if it was yes, you could tell me and I will attempting to explain better or in other way. to sum up, I am planning to buy a PC in differents pieces, i like the pc with a performance and cheap, for this i am planing to buy a discrete card for dolphin(like amd, if you could tell me examples) and a CPU athlon x4, the other option is to go to intel for i5 that is more power and more price and not to buy a discrete card, i would have a intel hd graphics 4600, my question is that, can i use dolphin with an athlon x4 840? or it's going bad and will I have to go to an intel ?
Thanks to all of you and sorry if there was a same topic before, I was searching and not found anything like this topic
PD: i have found differents results from cpuboss and I found that the single core perfomance of amd athlon x4 840, 860K and the A10-7800 are very similar and in terms of performance too, but i5 4590 it's better, much better, but much price I think, what do you think I should do? I plan to put Linux in the computer if it's important for the decission
Intel. Not even a real question.  Single threaded performance is easily double what AMD achieves and you'll find a much better Dolphin and general gaming experience.
What nintonito said, go for an intel. The recommended cpus are the I5 4690K and if you're on a smaller budget the the Pentium G3258.
If you get the pentium, be sure to overclock it. While the gpus on those cpu's are not good, they can run Dolphin at the lowest resolution, and for some games the 2xIR(720p).
In case of buying an i5 4590, I think it is sufficient the processor no? And.. the integrated graphics of it, the hd 4600 is sufficient too? Or I need a dedicated card
Yeah, the i5-4590 would run most (if not all) games full speed, but with the i5-4690k only being 20 bucks more you should buy it instead. Then if you ever need to overclock it you can.
And, yes. The hd 4600 is good enough for 1xIR and 2xIR on most games. I don't know how it handles 3xIR.
1xIR on the HD 4600 will play the majority of games well. If you want high quality graphics you will need to invest in a dedicated GPU, not an iGPU
i have tried dolphin in a laptop hp with an apu a10-5xxxM that is less powerfull than the apu i am going tu buy, I think i don't need an dedicated graphic card if I got the a10-7800, don't you think? the cpu of this processor it's more powerful than the tested and i didn't have bad results with it, after hear all this... are you goint to recommend me i5 that have less powerfull integrated graphics and more expensive? or do you think with Amd may be good? all of this it's for the pc, for bad luck I can't pay much for the pc and if I buy an intel i5 I won't be able to buy an discrete card, however isn't dolphin using more GPU than CPU right now? I am worried if I buy an intel card it won't be able to play any game, for dolphin and many others games like the sims 4 throught wine. thanks for reading and for the reply if you do
Dolphin uses lots of CPU, but only really needs two cores, and doesn't use much GPU at all until you start trying to run it in 4K with antialiasing. If you want good Dolphin performance and money for a discrete card (which other games will need), the G3258 is enough.
There will be games that you won't be able to reach fullspeed on if you go with AMD.

Intel HD 4600 is good up to 2-3x IR in Dolphin (depending on the game), and can play PC games on medium settings from what I've seen. But you'll be better off getting a dedicated GPU becasue they're way better at everything.

Dolphin relies heavily on the CPU. The GPU only needs to meet the minimum requirements for native resolution to run games. Any stronger GPU is just to increase the cool effects you can make Dolphin do.

Since you want to put Linux on the machine, I would recommend a Nvidia GPU since they have better Linux drivers.