Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Lovin the progress.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So yeah this is just a keep up the good work post.  I have not played twilight since some time in 09 last. Back then I had a sandy chip and most of the same rig I have now. I just got a haswell and wanted to give it a try. I'm well aware of all the improvements since then but never tried it before.  I was at the part with the wolf running around near the castle at dark and from memory it was very slow aback then. When I first ran it I was pretty impressed, it was not %100 but very good. I was able to do a few things to get smooth play but it would dip a lot. After looking at every option I could find I put it down. Then I wanted to try dx thinking maybe it was GL but after a quick play it seems GL is better on my rig, and one more look at setting and I see I had dual core unchecked... I was surprised I forgot to turn that back on and was thinking wait a second, dual core is off? Let just say after checking it, putting texture to ram, audio to pro logic, AI at 8x, AF at 16x, as well as PPL on, my game is running just as good as the GC. And better looking Wink

%100 full speed and I bet I could even run LLE sound. Amazing job team!

Oh BTW: Is audio to core now permanent, I don't see the option any more?

"DSP LLE on thread" is now turned on whenever it is safe for it to be used! So it will turn on or off all on its own.
While we're in a Ulao thread, this is as good a place as any to ask if there's a plan to make a version of the BlissBox that might support GBA to GC link cables? If one guy's likely to make this, it's Ulao.
Yes, it's on the table, and looks very feasible. This KS is really a pain in the butt, so little time on my hands to develop unknown technologies. Open for any questions on the matter.

I see only two potential down falls.
1) Data transfer would be bit slow from console to GBA.
2) Devs would have to use the Bliss-Box API. Meaning Skid or another dev's assistance (I have worked with Skid before).

It may also be possible to make a new device for this specific task and write a driver or use HID mounted FS but that is not on the table ATM. I'd like to see it work with the current design but I'm not sure what impact the speed would have.
Yes everything whether performance, graphics and even audio has improved. Geez thinking back to early versions of dolphin and seeing how far it's come since is amazing. I wish other emulators would have received the same love as Dolphin. Other emulators have slower development or development has halted completely. Some great emulators went to the grave. Glad to see Dolphin development is going so well and the developers really know their stuff. Smile
Quote:I wish other emulators would have received the same love as Dolphin
You mean you wish other emulators had the same number of developers. Dolphin was around for a long time 1.2 to 1.3 and really got nowhere till the source went open and viral. PJ64 is now open but little interest in 64 anymore.
NullDC died sadly, was a great Dreamcast Emulator. Apparently Gekko, another Gamecube emulator is dead now and looked promising way back. Other emulators suffered the same fate or development slowed down. Dolphin remains my favorite emulator so I'm glad it's still going strong. I'm surprised at the amount of attention Dolphin got.

I see Project64 got a v2.0 and v2.1 release however it now includes optional adware. :o
When Gekko came back, I think it really only had like 3 active people onboard (Shizzy, neobrain, and myself). Needless to say we all started working on other projects eventually. Reicast is actually based on NullDC, is actively developed, and is multiplatform, a revival of a different sort I guess.

But the amount of contributions made to Dolphin is staggering in comparison to other emulation projects. Hopefully that continues for Dolphin and picks up as a trend for others.
(04-12-2015, 02:34 AM)ulao Wrote: [ -> ]PJ64 is now open but little interest in 64 anymore.

Developers for older consoles should put all their resources into the mobile space, i'm sure that will bring back interest, i've already seen some pretty good emus with little to no bugs there.