Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Older System?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

denboii

Might I say first, it took me about a minute to find that "New Thread" button. Sneaky thing.
As for my obligatory question, I was wondering if Dolphin would have any trouble running on an older system. By older system, I mean something that's been worn down a bit, can handle certain games easily, but heavy ones(Steam games, for example) slow down quite a bit. Not one of them fancy desktop quad core monsters.
With the recommendations of Dolphin being "quad core" and "2-5GB RAM," I'm a little afraid of..."overdoing" it on a system that cannot handle overclocking(darn thing would set fire if I tried, that fan already is too hot).
Of course, Specs.

Processor- Intel® Celeron® CPU B830 @ 1.80GHz
RAM- 3.85GB free/usable
System: Windows 8.1 x64/64-bit
Computer Type: Lenovo G580 (Quite the trooper, for a laptop)
Graphics Card: Intel® HD Graphics

I apologize for any information I have left out, you can only do so much with DirectX.
Even though your CPU is Sandy Bridge, I'm pretty sure a Celeron clocked so slowly will never be enough for Dolphin. Emulation is far more demanding than running a game designed for PC hardware. Laptop hardware is always more difficult to work with, as it's designed with efficiency in mind moreso than performance. Dolphin relies heavily on CPU performance, and that CPU isn't going to be enough.
Your system will not run dolphin , not a single game can be playable. You will need a whole new pc
Btw i built my own pc for just 200-300$.All parts are 2nd hand components that i found on amazon
Celeron is way dated, incapable of running Dolphin especially in a laptop and @1.8. It might be time to update.
They still make Haswell Celerons. They're not dated, and some would be able to run certain games in Dolphin pretty well. It's just the specific one the OP has that can't. We've told you in the past multiple times that not all chips under the same brand name are identical, and it's becoming a nuisance that we have to keep reminding you.

denboii

Thank you for responding, however I wont be buying a new system any time soon.
Then you won't be playing any games anytime soon XD