Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Using 5GB of RAM?!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

crunchynumber

So, I'm setting here, playing NFS Carbon, chillin, then all the sudden I get random freezes. I decide to check my task manager and BAM!!! Dolphin is using a minimum of 4gb of RAM up to 5.2gb...

I am so confused... I have never had a game reach 4gb... Heck! I have never used enough applications to reach 4gb of RAM...

So I restarted my dolphin and now I am currently playing NFS Carbon and I'm noticing that Dolphin's RAM use is steadily increasing by roughly .5mb per second.... Its at 930mb of ram and increasing...

Anyone know what to do about this?

crunchynumber

(04-05-2015, 08:56 AM)crunchynumber Wrote: [ -> ]So, I'm setting here, playing NFS Carbon, chillin, then all the sudden I get random freezes. I decide to check my task manager and BAM!!! Dolphin is using a minimum of 4gb of RAM up to 5.2gb...

I am so confused... I have never had a game reach 4gb... Heck! I have never used enough applications to reach 4gb of RAM...

So I restarted my dolphin and now I am currently playing NFS Carbon and I'm noticing that Dolphin's RAM use is steadily increasing by roughly .5mb per second.... Its at 930mb of ram and increasing...

Anyone know what to do about this?

Also, I have played ma ny other games including Super Mario Sunshine and Zelda Windwaker and the RAM does not increase past 500-700mb ever... Carbon is the only game that does this that I have played so far.
I wonder if it never invalidates textures. That's pretty neat.
(04-05-2015, 11:44 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if it never invalidates textures. That's pretty neat.

lol

If you aren't on the latest dev build, update here. If that don't fix your problem, calculate the MD5 checksum of the game by going to the game properties (from the Dolphin application) and going to the "Info" tab. Post it here or google the result to see if it matches the official version. If not then your game is corrupted, redump and retry.

crunchynumber

(04-05-2015, 01:18 PM)NKF98 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-05-2015, 11:44 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if it never invalidates textures.  That's pretty neat.

lol

If you aren't on the latest dev build, update here. If that don't fix your problem, calculate the MD5 checksum of the game by going to the game properties (from the Dolphin application) and going to the "Info" tab. Post it here or google the result to see if it matches the official version. If not then your game is corrupted, redump and retry.

I just tried using the latest version and when I open up NFS Carbon I get o FPS and 5 VPS.... I have tried all types of condfigurations with graphics and nothing works.
How long did you leave the game open before deciding it wasn't working? Leave it open for like a minute or two and it should load up. Also, did you calc the MD5?
5 VFPS? Is the frame limiter set to 5 FPS (from being set to framelimit-by-audio from an old build)?

crunchynumber

Well... I feel stupid... I just messed around with the newest version... Turns out I just had some crappy settings. Checking the FPS and for some reason the match audio selection from 4.0.2 transferred to 5fps limit... Thanks for helping.
How to solve the excessive [7+ GiB !] VRAM (+RAM+pagefile) usage problem :

Step 1: Update to the latest development build:
https://dolphin-emu.org/download/list/master/1/
and reset all settings (or delete the old config files).

If this doesn't work for you, proceed to Step 2.

Step 2: Untick the 'Store EFB copies to Texture only' checkbox in the Graphics Settings and / or edit the .ini files and set 'EFBToTextureEnable' to 'False', or just press the 'Toggle EFB' hotkey once.
VRAM usage should immediately drop to normal values (~200 MB).