Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Silly question but I'm going to ask anyway...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there any way to set a custom resolution in the Direct X Plugin? There are only a few choices so far, and unlike the OpenGL plugin I can't go into the .ini file and change it to a custom one. I can only set it as 0, 1, 2, etc in the DX9 .ini.

Is there a way I can set a custom resolution? I was hoping to try and go smaller than the default choice, so that it might give me a slight boost in speed. I remember when I played Bionic Commando: Rearmed, the game moved at a snail's pace in resolution 800x600... I went into the config file for the game and changed it to 320x240 or 480x360, and the game ran at full speed most of the time. I know that BC:R and Dolphin are two different beasts that act completely different, but I was hoping that when it came to speed with different resolution, it might be the same.

Thanks in advance for any info. Big Grin And please, don't say anything like "You need to get a faster computer because yours is crap" or anything like that. I plan to buy a new computer one day, but for now this is all I have.

MarioMadness

(09-04-2009, 02:54 PM)freezingicekirby Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any way to set a custom resolution in the Direct X Plugin? There are only a few choices so far, and unlike the OpenGL plugin I can't go into the .ini file and change it to a custom one. I can only set it as 0, 1, 2, etc in the DX9 .ini.

Is there a way I can set a custom resolution? I was hoping to try and go smaller than the default choice, so that it might give me a slight boost in speed. I remember when I played Bionic Commando: Rearmed, the game moved at a snail's pace in resolution 800x600... I went into the config file for the game and changed it to 320x240 or 480x360, and the game ran at full speed most of the time. I know that BC:R and Dolphin are two different beasts that act completely different, but I was hoping that when it came to speed with different resolution, it might be the same.

Thanks in advance for any info. Big Grin And please, don't say anything like "You need to get a faster computer because yours is crap" or anything like that. I plan to buy a new computer one day, but for now this is all I have.

resolution Doesn't make a differnce in FPS, You Can use 1600x900 and still have the same FPS, Well For me it does. Most i Found you can do is turn off enable other audio And Use Frameskip, Ohh And Gamebooster helps out a bit Big Grin
Unfortunately, I tried all of those and it did give me a somewhat speed boost, but not really enough for boss battles (Battling Fracktail in Super Paper Mario at 20fps... just takes forever... at least the music is catchy and it plays normal). Frameskipping doesn't seem to help me in the OpenGL plugin (for some reason, sometimes it makes it slower), so I've been using the DX9 plugin because it is much faster on my Laptop... but it makes the screen flicker if Frameskip is enabled in DX9, so I can't really use that until they fix that (which I'm not complaining).

I was afraid that reducing the resolution wouldn't help, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks ^_^
(09-04-2009, 03:01 PM)MarioMadness Wrote: [ -> ]resolution Doesn't make a differnce in FPS, You Can use 1600x900 and still have the same FPS, Well For me it does. Most i Found you can do is turn off enable other audio And Use Frameskip, Ohh And Gamebooster helps out a bit Big Grin

it does have an influence if you have a crappy gfx card Tongue i assume yours is not that bad if it doesnt make a change for you
it makes a difference(few %) here too and i dont consider a 4870 crappy.

Quote:so I've been using the DX9 plugin because it is much faster on my Laptop... but it makes the screen flicker if Frameskip is enabled in DX9

use a newer build, this problem is fixed.

cmccmc

(09-04-2009, 09:31 PM)the_flash Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-04-2009, 03:01 PM)MarioMadness Wrote: [ -> ]resolution Doesn't make a differnce in FPS, You Can use 1600x900 and still have the same FPS, Well For me it does. Most i Found you can do is turn off enable other audio And Use Frameskip, Ohh And Gamebooster helps out a bit Big Grin

it does have an influence if you have a crappy gfx card Tongue i assume yours is not that bad if it doesnt make a change for you

he has 2 4870 x2's
(09-04-2009, 09:31 PM)the_flash Wrote: [ -> ]

Gee, thanks... Confused

You people could say something like "It's not up to par" or something to make people feel less bad about their computer Tongue.

So, now that we've established that he has a good graphics card and I have a.... crappy one, is it possible for me to go in and set a custom resolution?

cmccmc

no, sorry
Alright. Thanks!

cmccmc

your welcome