Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Need Help Speeding up my Wii games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

nemesysevolved

Hi Everyone,

So, I think my computer should be good enough to run wii games- correct me if I am wrong:

Intel i7 4800MQ @2.70GHz, 32 gb RAM, nvidia geforce GTX770M.

I was trying to run super mario galaxy. Basically, it runs extremely slowly. Even if I turn off anti-aliasing, v-sync, and make the internal resolution 1x native- my frame rate is still below 30.

Is my cpu just not good enough? Ive never had this problem with any game before oddly enough. Its a strange feeling! HAHA

I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks all,

Alex~
32GB of RAM is holy crap (and unnecessary w/ that CPU on regular clock)

SMG is one of the most demanding Wii games in existence. I'm not sure I've ever seen a computer run it about ~50FPS. Overclock your CPU and you will get better performance, other than that there's nothing you can do.
Read this thread to make sure you're in Windows high performance mode and high performance mode for Nvidia: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...ance-guide
(03-30-2015, 07:29 AM)NKF98 Wrote: [ -> ]32GB of RAM is holy crap (and unnecessary w/ that CPU on regular clock)

SMG is one of the most demanding Wii games in existence. I'm not sure I've ever seen a computer run it about ~50FPS. Overclock your CPU and you will get better performance, other than that there's nothing you can do.

Eh...what? Huh

With my sandy bridge cpu (2500k), the observatory which is demanding: http://prntscr.com/6n12x5

Op just use the latest dolphin dev build with default settings. Opengl, hle audio and efb to texture. Also read the laptop performance guide in the faq and play with the laptop plugged.
I run Super Mario Galaxy with Skip EFB Access From CPU enabled through most of the game..  With it enabled it plays perfectly @ 60 fps.  When it's disabled, the speed of the game will drop way down to about 40-45 fps, but is required to make some parts of the game run properly. So I recommend only disabling it when you need to

nemesysevolved

Hey guys- thanks for the tips- I am going to try a few things right now and let you know how it goes!

And yeah, I know 32gb of ram is unnecessary, but when I got this laptop it was a free upgrade offered by alienware. Who wouldn't accept a free 16gb ram? haha

nemesysevolved

Hey guys- thanks!

I didn't even know my computer could run on 'high performance' since I previously never had a problem running any games!

Now I get 60fps with super mario galaxy!

For some reason I only get 30fps with zelda- but it is a stable 30fps that never dips so far.

Thanks again
(04-02-2015, 02:30 AM)nemesysevolved Wrote: [ -> ]For some reason I only get 30fps with zelda- but it is a stable 30fps that never dips so far.
The main Zelda games for the GC and Wii (WW, TP, SS) are designed to run at 30/25 fps, so this is working exactly as expected.