Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Disc timings - Metroid Prime
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So a couple of months ago, Dolphin fixed an issue and made the disc timing for games like Metroid Prime more accurate. In other words, the doors take just as long as they did on the original console to open. Is it possible to re-enable "inaccurate timing"? I didn't see any mention of how to do it and I'd like to just shoot a door and open it. It's a good thing that the emulator becomes more and more accurate, but it'd also be nice to not be limited by the oldness of the console itself. Otherwise we should just make sure the console can't support a resolution over 360p and only works on CRT TVs.
The problem is that the old style of disc timing would sometimes cause Dolphins to hang immediately after walking through a door, so we needed the accuracy for this case
I'm not sure but you still can use the old behaviour in current development builds by enabling Speed up Disc Transfer Speed in game properties...
(03-28-2015, 01:01 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is that the old style of disc timing would sometimes cause Dolphins to hang immediately after walking through a door, so we needed the accuracy for this case
I can't remember anything like that happening... Sure, things might go wrong if you enable Speed Up Disc Transfer Rate (at least in Metroid Prime 3), but having SUDTR disabled in older builds resulted in loading times that were a bit faster than they are right now but that didn't break anything.

(03-28-2015, 01:14 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure but you still can use the old behaviour in current development builds by enabling Speed up Disc Transfer Speed in game properties...
Enabling it will make loading times very fast, but it's not really the same as the old behavior. The most obvious difference between them is that SUDTR can make some games crash or behave incorrectly. I think it works fine with the first two Metroid Prime games, though. I have planned to make a new option that will let the user adjust the speed to any value instead of only having two choices, but only once PR 2149 is merged.
I may be thinking of something else, but I do remember a problem with Metroid, doors, and SUDTR
(03-28-2015, 03:04 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]I may be thinking of something else, but I do remember a problem with Metroid, doors, and SUDTR
This, maybe? https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-wi...#pid356238
Either way, this is not a problem with the old timing, it's only a problem with SUDTR.
Yeah, I think that is.
So what you're saying is if I just check the box in MP1 and MP2, but not MP3 then everything should probably work fine and doors will still load fast? Are there any other games you would recommend i do this for as well? MP3 isn't an issue for me since I have a Wii, and dolphin Wii emulation isn't as smooth without a TV.
(03-28-2015, 04:09 AM)racerx6913 Wrote: [ -> ]So what you're saying is if I just check the box in MP1 and MP2, but not MP3 then everything should probably work fine and doors will still load fast?
Yes, I think that would be fine to do, though I haven't tried it much myself.
(03-28-2015, 04:09 AM)racerx6913 Wrote: [ -> ]Are there any other games you would recommend i do this for as well?
If there's any game where you're annoyed at the loading times, try it out. Just keep in mind to try turning it off if something goes wrong afterwards.
Do usb loaders on wiis have the same problems? I never heard about it, just about faster loading times. Until someone can reproduce Dolphin's disc speed timing problems in an usb loader, i'm going to believe that Dolphin is doing something wrong.
Pages: 1 2