Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Ubuntu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

joshrulez2

My current specifications are below:

Operating System: Ubuntu 14.04
Processor/CPU: Intel Celeron N2840 / 2.16 GHz Dual Core
Video Card/GPU: Intel HD Graphics
Memory/RAM: 4GB DDR3L SDRAM
Dolphin Revision Currently Using: 4.0 x64

When running the 3.5 version of the dolphin emulator on Ubuntu 12.04 I received higher speeds than what i am currently getting on the both the latest developmental and stable versions of the emulator on Ubuntu 14.04.
Has anybody got any experience running the emulator with similar specs to mine or on this version of Ubuntu? And have any ideas to speed up the emulation?

Thanks.
The issue is probably your IGP. While the latest development revision should be less demanding on the CPU than 3.5, the latest development revisions require more from the GPU if I recall correctly. On lower spec'ed GPUs you'd notice a hit, in some cases even at 1x IR. Hopefully someone can verify this, as I haven't kept up with all of the GPU changes Dolphin has made recently.

Anyway, unless the latest development revisions get a sudden speedup, I think your problem is mostly hardware related, as the N2840 and its IGP are both on the weaker end of Dolphin's hardware spectrum.

joshrulez2

(03-12-2015, 11:39 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]The issue is probably your IGP. While the latest development revision should be less demanding on the CPU than 3.5, the latest development revisions require more from the GPU if I recall correctly. On lower spec'ed GPUs you'd notice a hit, in some cases even at 1x IR. Hopefully someone can verify this, as I haven't kept up with all of the GPU changes Dolphin has made recently.

Anyway, unless the latest development revisions get a sudden speedup, I think your problem is mostly hardware related, as the N2840 and its IGP are both on the weaker end of Dolphin's hardware spectrum.

Thanks for the quick reply, ok I see, my best bet is to downgrade to the 3.5 stable version of dolphin then?
Or would trying to overclock my GPU be able to increase performance?
If you're able to better utilize the GPU, it may help with your speed. Again, given your hardware, you may not notice a significant difference.

Your "best bet" at a playable experience would be to use whichever revision is fastest for you. Just be aware that 3.5 is no longer supported on these forums, so any glitches and bugs you encounter you'll have deal with on your own. 3.5 also had several notorious bugs in a wide range of games. That said, no one's forcing you to upgrade, but be aware of the caveats and "gotchas" when using 3.5.
Get like a cheap Nvidia GT 640 for better support

joshrulez2

(03-13-2015, 03:27 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Get like a cheap Nvidia GT 640 for better support

Its a laptop but if I was to connect an external GPU would the speed increase still be significant with the current processing power I have?
My bad, I couldn't tell.
Unless you have a dedicated port for an external GPU, then it'll be too much of a hassle and limited to what you can do.

What you should do is either build a cheap system with a G3258 and overclock, or get a Gigabyte Brix with an R series Haswell CPU.

joshrulez2

Ok thanks for the help.
Think it will just be cheaper to get a wii U and play GC/Wii games in hacked wii mode!
Wii u only upscaled also you can get a boot 2 Wii for 30 USD about if you look around