Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: upscaling games above native resolution of monitor?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hellooo guys.Im interested is there any benefit of running dolphin above my 1080p resolution of my notebook?Isnt that just AA when i go over my native resolution cause the picture is being upscaled 4x native(like in SG2) and downsampled to fit on my 1080p screen?isnt that just basicall like AA or i there is a graphical advantage beside less jaggies?i ask that cause i wouldnt force too much above my native resolution(dolphin,pcsx2) if its just like AA effect cause on notebooks which have smaller screen and use 1080p jaggies almost non exist at least in true pc games but that probably similar here.Thanks for your thoughts Smile
Yes, when you render an image that's larger than your monitor's resolution and subsequently downscale it, you generally have the possibility of getting anti-aliasing from this. However, depending on the method used to downscale, the effect of the AA can vary. SSAA basically does the process of generating a large image and then downscaling it, but it's very efficient at blending pixels in comparison to Dolphin's downscaling filter. Dolphin's way of downscaling isn't optimal in this regard, so you can actually see a noticeable difference when adding AA versus just using an IR higher than your monitor's resolution.

You'll definitely see AA if you set your IR to 5x or 6x but only have a 1080p monitor, but it's not nearly as effective as dedicated AA methods, and even at high IRs downscaled to 1080p you may still see "jaggies". The AA is there, just not as strong as it could be. So in short, it's not a panacea for all of your aliased pixels. However, high IRs in combination with other AA may be worthwhile in terms of image quality versus performance. For example, you could go 4x IR on a 1080p monitor to get a slight AA effect, then clear up geometry based aliasing with MSAA (which is really cheap on hardware resources).
It's also worth noting that using a high IR alone won't reduce shimmering when the scene is in motion nearly as much as SSAA would.
(03-09-2015, 02:00 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, when you render an image that's larger than your monitor's resolution and subsequently downscale it, you generally have the possibility of getting anti-aliasing from this. However, depending on the method used to downscale, the effect of the AA can vary. SSAA basically does the process of generating a large image and then downscaling it, but it's very efficient at blending pixels in comparison to Dolphin's downscaling filter. Dolphin's way of downscaling isn't optimal in this regard, so you can actually see a noticeable difference when adding AA versus just using an IR higher than your monitor's resolution.

You'll definitely see AA if you set your IR to 5x or 6x but only have a 1080p monitor, but it's not nearly as effective as dedicated AA methods, and even at high IRs downscaled to 1080p you may still see "jaggies". The AA is there, just not as strong as it could be. So in short, it's not a panacea for all of your aliased pixels. However, high IRs in combination with other AA may be worthwhile in terms of image quality versus performance. For example, you could go 4x IR on a 1080p monitor to get a slight AA effect, then clear up geometry based aliasing with MSAA (which is really cheap on hardware resources).

I understand what you want to say but bare in mind that i have a notebook.On wider screens there are a lot of more jaggies but on 17" or 15" inches they arent noticable at least i think that IR above native should be enough for notebooks to provide some minimal AA.I will try later with MSAA.I was surprised that you say that its not a big performance hit cause in real pc gaming msaa can be quite demading.Im not sure how much should i put on pcsx2 cause it has 6x native support?thats for PAL games a resolution of 3456p if i counted right.Should i go for that if there is any difference visually or put it to lets say 4x which is 2304p and provides some AA already.I just dont want to force the gpu/cpu more if its not reflected in better visual quality.What would be your choice 4x or forcing to work more for 6x on a notebook with 1080p?temperatures are fine as performance also.We are just debating visual quality