Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Building a pc dedicated to emulators...opinions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

comicfanatic

Hey everyone!! First want to say thanks for reading and opinions. So I want to build a new pc dedicated to emulators. I've read alot in these forums and got more confused. I'm looking to get 720p on the games and run smooth. So any suggestionS on processor/mobo combos and gpus?
A budget would be helpful. Ideally you'd get an i7 4790k/i5 4690k but for a cheaper budget the G3258 is the best in the business. A Z97 motherboard is highly recommended so you can overclock. Personally I have a Z97M-D3H and it's been good to me. In terms of GPU again this depends on budget but a GTX 750 ti or GTX 960 would do wonders. 3-4x IR in most games.
You could get a GTX 470 to do 720p.

comicfanatic

A budget idea $500-$800. I'm definitely intrested in a good mobo/processor combo. From what I seem to have read a mid range gpu would do wonders.

comicfanatic

(03-09-2015, 03:54 AM)yl-smash Wrote: [ -> ]A budget would be helpful.  Ideally you'd get an i7 4790k/i5 4690k but for a cheaper budget the G3258 is the best in the business.  A Z97 motherboard is highly recommended so you can overclock.  Personally I have a Z97M-D3H and it's been good to me.  In terms of GPU again this depends on budget but a GTX 750 ti or GTX 960 would do wonders.  3-4x IR in most games.

I just priced all 3 of those (gtx 750i)put me around $300 wow wasn't expecting that. Seems to me the way to go since all I want is a dedicated emulator machine.
(03-09-2015, 03:54 AM)yl-smash Wrote: [ -> ]A Z97 motherboard is highly recommended so you can overclock.

You dont need a Z97 to OC a Devils Canyon chip. Thats just sales bo**ocks from places that want to sell Z97 boards. Any 1/2 decent 1150 board will do if you can update the bios 1st (current chip / friends chip / shop as last option).
My asrock h97 booted with g3258 installed and after bios update allowed for overclocking.
Most z87s of decent brands and price range fully support the new haswell processors that's why I got my z87. It was just $30 usd after rebates for a z87-gd65 (just got the rebate Friday)

Edit: Something like this build should easily do dolphin in 1080p for nearly every game and be fairly balanced for other pc games too. ( it could be improved this is just a baseline estimate build (you could go cheaper) )

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8bbft6
Another vote for the G3258 and Z97. Throw in a 750 Ti and you're set.
Well if you get a Z97 board and decide to go with the G3258, you can upgrade to broadwell without a motherboard swap.