Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How to use real memcard dumps in dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A tutorial by shuffle2:

First off, a disclaimer: the current incompatibility of dolphin with real dumps is just that; current. This means that if this bug is ever fixed, you will need the original dump again.

Next, a simple explanation of what is wrong:
The first 0x13 bytes of a memcard contain an unknown segment (0x0C long), and then the GC OSTime value (of when the memcard was formatted). This can be seen here:
Yet Another Gamecube Documentation
It seems that the "unknown" segment is fetched from something in the IPL/BIOS, and as dolphin uses HLE emulation of the BIOS (don't ask about using real BIOS, it doesn't work), the data returned is not compatible with real GCs. Inversely, the data from real GCs is not compatible with dolphin.

OK, so how do you work around this? Follow along! Big Grin

Requirements:
Dolphin r1089 or later (fixed a bug in memcard manager)
A real memcard dump
A hex editor (I use Hex Workshop in windows, and ghex2 in linux)

Directions:
Open your memcard dump in your hex editor of choice
Replace the first 0x13 bytes with this hex string: 0750B25EC2A150A9E2047343000000000B1B595C (see attached pic)
Save and close the file

Open the memcard in slot A of dolphin's memcard manager and click fix checksums.

That's it! you *should* be able to use it with games in dolphin now.
Is it possible to add links to where to get the real memorycard dump and hex editor? =3

Thankies <3
I don't know where you can find dumps, but you can just google "Hexworkshop" or I personally use HxD.

Zerogoki

Hi after following your instructions, i still have a problem with PSO v1.0 Jap.
My caracters are still corrupted. This better than nothing because without using an hex editor the save wouldn't let me enter the game without formating the save.

When you say "fix checksums" do i have to do it with each saves on the memcard or once is enough?

I'm trying to copy only the caracters data but it doesn't work too.

I am missing something?