Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How do you use the mouse as a wiimote pointer?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm having a little bit of trouble with Dolphin and Wii games...

The mouse buttons work as wiimote buttons (A and B) but the wiimote pointer isn't working at all. (eg. if I move the mouse around it doesn't move the pointer on the screen)

What do I have to do to get the pointer working?
Make sure you disable "Sideways D-Pad" in Wiimote options.
This is going to sound silly: make sure you have panic alerts on, as that will inform you of the issue beforehand. Then literally, restart the game over and over until the pointer in the game works. It's quite stupid, I agree, but Wiimote emulation is far from complete. Occasionally, the wiimote (emulated or real) just "gives up" halfway through the connection, and half of its features don't turn on. You have to wait until you're lucky and they do.

I sometimes have more luck with it emulated, sometimes more by connecting one of my real wiimotes. Really, it depends on how tired Dolphin is that day, and mostly will work if you can hold your nose just right when you're starting the game.

If the wiimote seems to be working (not throwing an IPC error with panic alerts enabled) and you're still having issues, it might be a game thing. Which game are you trying to play?
Thanks for the help!

It looks like it works if I turn off Sideways D-Pad.

However, how do I use the other keys/buttons on the Wiimote? (eg. the D-Pad, the + and - buttons, etc)

Also, when I enable the Wii Classic Control (which is required for some games) the pointer stops working again...
I am using SVN R 5473 and cannot get the mouse to work as a pointer on Mario Galaxy, any ideas?
(05-26-2010, 12:38 AM)Javi3rPR Wrote: [ -> ]I am using SVN R 5473 and cannot get the mouse to work as a pointer on Mario Galaxy, any ideas?

Yeah :/ disable sideways wiimote, like "nosound97" already said in this thread.
(05-26-2010, 04:48 AM)Billiard26 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-26-2010, 12:38 AM)Javi3rPR Wrote: [ -> ]I am using SVN R 5473 and cannot get the mouse to work as a pointer on Mario Galaxy, any ideas?

I already have disabled the sideways remote and still not get the mouse pointer.
(05-26-2010, 05:37 AM)Javi3rPR Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-26-2010, 04:48 AM)Billiard26 Wrote: [ -> ]

I already have disabled the sideways remote and still not get the mouse pointer.

Disabled upright wiimote as well? You are using "emulated wiimote", correct?
Probably a different issue (talking about "sideways wiimote"), since this one was discussed more than a year ago. Try what Billiard26 says and don't bump old threads next time.
(04-04-2009, 06:29 PM)thegamefreak0134 Wrote: [ -> ]This is going to sound silly: make sure you have panic alerts on, as that will inform you of the issue beforehand. Then literally, restart the game over and over until the pointer in the game works. It's quite stupid, I agree, but Wiimote emulation is far from complete. Occasionally, the wiimote (emulated or real) just "gives up" halfway through the connection, and half of its features don't turn on. You have to wait until you're lucky and they do.

I sometimes have more luck with it emulated, sometimes more by connecting one of my real wiimotes. Really, it depends on how tired Dolphin is that day, and mostly will work if you can hold your nose just right when you're starting the game.

If the wiimote seems to be working (not throwing an IPC error with panic alerts enabled) and you're still having issues, it might be a game thing. Which game are you trying to play?

Enabling or disabling panic handlers does nothing as it has zero effect on any game code. It will just show all error messages as popups instead of ignoring them completely.

Dolphin can't be tired because it only executes c++ and assembly code it was programmed with. It's not a living creature. Wiimote also can't disconnect by itself in newer revisions because there is an option to autoreconnect it which avoids the entire issue (unless the battery is weak of course)

Occassionally people have tried to use the pointer in games where they don't exist at all (Tatsunoko vs capcom, smash bros brawl). That's a cursor which does not respond to IR positioning data from wiimote
Pages: 1 2