Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What settings should I use to increase my fps on Xenoblade Chronicles ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi, I would like to know what would be the best settings to increase my fps on Xenoblade Chronicles(NTSC). I have the latest version of the stable Dolphin 4.0.2 and 4.0-5736 x64 developmental emulators installed on my computer but the game is not playable at all on the stable version for me, now the game is playable using the developmental versions which runs the game much better but still has it major fps drops. The cut scenes in the game usually run at a fps from 22 fps and up which is fine, but main problem that I have is that the fps drops alot and by that I mean under 20 fps when I get into battles which sucks especially when I'm in battle and the future visions come up for Shulk it could go down to like 14 fps or even lower. Can anyone please give me some helpful advice as to what settings I should use to increase the fps ?

Windows 7 Home Premium
Processor Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60 GHz
Ram: 6.00 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
You need a better CPU. You're not bottlenecked by the GPU, but your CPU has not aged well. Settings alone won't magically increase your FPS.
(03-03-2015, 08:54 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]You need a better CPU. You're not bottlenecked by the GPU, but your CPU has not aged well. Settings alone won't magically increase your FPS.

Thanks for the reply, I'm not too tech savy and would like to know if its worth investing on buying a new CPU and if so how much would it cost me for a decent one which works best for my computer ?
Best option would be g3258 and some cheap motherboard that supports it.
(03-03-2015, 03:39 PM)F3TiSH Wrote: [ -> ]Best option would be g3258 and some cheap motherboard that supports it.

I found on ebay a cheap Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8600 (6M Cache) 3.33Hhz, 1333 Mhz which fits my socket type which is the LGA775, will this CPU improve my fps on dolphin for most games including this one ?
(03-20-2015, 12:34 AM)TheReaper30 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-03-2015, 03:39 PM)F3TiSH Wrote: [ -> ]Best option would be g3258 and some cheap motherboard that supports it.

I found on ebay a cheap Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8600 (6M Cache) 3.33Hhz, 1333 Mhz which fits my socket type which is the LGA775, will this CPU improve my fps on dolphin for most games including this one ?

It will improve the fps, but not as much as you seem to need. When overclocked, the g3258 can be 2x as fast as that 3.33 GHz Core 2 Duo, because you can easily run it at 4.x Ghz and it's faster than a Core 2 Duo at the same clock speed.

If you insist of not upgrading your mainboard, please look into either overlocking or taking a quad core. I can't tell you how much a Core 2 Quad will be faster at the same Ghz, but it should be noticable. So maybe 15-20%?

If you go and buy that 3.33 Ghz Core 2 Duo:
Hmm, 1333 Mhz FSB Speed? If you have DDR2 800 RAM, i'd try to overlock the FSB with that from 333 to 400, so the cpu is clocked at 4 Ghz. This overlock should be possible without much hassle, because you can reduce the ram multiplier to 2, so it runs at 800 speed again.(overclocking the ram causes issues!) So 4 Ghz compared to 2.6 Ghz from your old cpu, that would be a nice speedup. My old E6750 was a 1333 FSB cpu, and i could overclock it from 2.66 Ghz to 3.2 Ghz this way. But my 4.2 Ghz g3258 is soo much better than that was.
The Core 2 Duo is about the same vintage as your current CPU and isn't much of an upgrade. You're not going to get much improvement unless you replace both your CPU and your mainboard.
Aleron Ives preaches it. Invest in a later generation i5+more modern mobo. It's definitely worth your while, Pentiums belong in the trash in 2015.
Find yourself a Core 2 Duo/Quad and overclock to 4.xGHz and you will be saving yourself a ton of money. Or just simply upgrade to what i have on my sig. Once you go with Haswell, you will never look back!
Do not overclock if you don't know what you're doing. Also, overclocking diminishes the life-expectancy of the CPU. If you're the kind of person that upgrades the CPU periodically, then it won't matter to you. But if you stick with a CPU until it's extremely old, then do not overclock it.

You said you weren't tech savvy, so that means you probably won't know how to overclock and you are probably not in the habit of upgrading your setup every couple of years either.

And yes, upgrade to a quad core i5 or i7 and dolphin will run like magic. I have a 3rd gen i5 and I can even hold the fast forward key to make the games go super fast.
Pages: 1 2 3