Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Loading ancient save files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After this month's Twilight Princess fixes I decided to retake my old, old savegame from 2011. I would not like to lose it because it was midway through the game and I don't want to stroll through the already boring early dungeons.

Sadly, upon loading the save, Dolphin will crash and produce the following save log:

Quote:Unhandled Exception 
     Code: 0xC0000005
Call stack info: 
     Dolphin!0x00A6BAAE : ?

Here is a copy of the save file:

https://mega.co.nz/#!dctBmSYQ!gwxho_KnfA...L1mH1133hI
Loading an ancient savefile shouldn't matter. What I'm guessing is that there's some setting that's causing Dolphin to crash (fast disc speed?) that needs to be weeded out, or the hardware requirements aren't being met.
(03-02-2015, 08:06 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Loading an ancient savefile shouldn't matter.  What I'm guessing is that there's some setting that's causing Dolphin to crash (fast disc speed?) that needs to be weeded out, or the hardware requirements aren't being met.

Okay, so the working plan is to go and activate/deactivate things until it works, make a new one with the new version and reactivate them again?

The game launches and runs just fine, it's the "Load save" moment that crashes it.
I'm worried that a save that old may be corrupted or something. That's my worst fear; and we'd have no way of knowing; at least right now.
(03-02-2015, 08:14 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm worried that a save that old may be corrupted or something.  That's my worst fear; and we'd have no way of knowing; at least right now.

Well, on the good news department I found another savegame and tried again, with a different error this time

[Image: YhEhwk0.png]

I can provide a copy too if that'd be useful.
Findings so far: changing the config does not fix the problem. Opening the file modifies it, so you'll have to make a copy for testing to be reproducible.
That's a savestate. Those aren't compatible between versions.

All of these are savestates actually. What you need to do is go in-game on the old version, use the in-game save function, then if it's the Wii version, follow the guide for transferring Wii saves to a new version, if it's a GC version of the game, then just use that memory card in the new version of Dolphin.
(03-02-2015, 08:28 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]That's a savestate.  Those aren't compatible between versions.

All of these are savestates actually.  What you need to do is go in-game on the old version, use the in-game save function, then if it's the Wii version, follow the guide for transferring Wii saves to a new version, if it's a GC version of the game, then just use that memory card in the new version of Dolphin.

That makes more sense, thanks.