Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Minimum GPU required for 1080p (mostly Gamecube games)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

sirius3100

I'm currently exploring my options for a device for my TV with emulation capabilities. Apart from Dolphin I also want to use PCSX2, PPSSPP and emulators for older systems, but I figured that Dolphin will be the most demanding emulator so I decided to ask for help in this forum. Besides emulation the device will not have to run any demanding stuff, so I will opt for a G3258 as the CPU if I decide to build the HTPC. I'm not unexperienced building PCs, but I've never built one specifically for emulation purposes and have no idea what GPU is required for my demands.

The games I want to be able to play at 1080p no AA or 720p 4xMSAA are:
- Luigi's Manson
- Super Mario Sunshine
- Mario Kart Double Dash
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
- Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
- F-Zero GX
It would be a nice bonus if I can play the following Wii games in 720p no AA or better:
- Mario Kart Wii
- Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
- Xenoblade Chronicles

The GPU has to be as cheap and silent as possible and should be short enough so that it can fit in an µATX-case (I may even go for Mini-ITX). As I'm from Germany you may want to have an overview of GPU prices here before suggesting something. This website should be helpful: http://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=gra16_512&as...=30&sort=t

Another question I'm having is: Is Linux (SteamOS) a real (easy to use) option for Dolphin or should I purchase a Windows license (I've ran out of free legal licenses lately)?

edit: no help? Let me specify my requirements: I want to play the listed Gamecube-games at at least 2x native resolution with 2x MSAA or 3x native resolution without MSAA. It would be a nice bonus if the listed Wii-games are playable at 2x native resolution without MSAA. Is a GTX 750 up to the task?
We're fast, but not always that fast at replying Tongue

If you go with Steam OS, get an Nvidia card since it has the best drivers. If you want AMD, stick to Windows as it performs better with D3D. But overall Windows will probably play better due to the best drivers for both cards.

I'm not very well versed with AMD, but on the Nvidia side the GTX 750 Ti can handle 3-4x IR, depending on the game (above 3x IR is 1080 and above. Go higher than your TV resolution gives down sampling and a better picture).

You're going to want to overclock that G3258 to about 4.4-.6 for the best results in Dolphin and other things, which can be reached with the stock cooler.
For AMD a 260x can do 4x IR thats what I had before my 290x.
anything around gtx 660 or 270x for amd

sirius3100

Thanks for your answers.

I've decided to go with a GTX 750 (not Ti) with 1 GB VRAM. I hope that's enough RAM for Dolphin.
Here is the complete system: http://skinflint.co.uk/eu/?cat=WL-458672
I may change minor parts like SSD or RAM depending on what's cheapest the day I'm actually ordering the stuff.

edit: changed some minor stuff and ordered the following https://www.mindfactory.de/shopping_cart...6ad60638e3
1gb vram is more than enough, unless you are going for very high res with very high aa. At x4 res without aa vram usage is usually below 500.
Looks like a good system, but the PSU is just an 80+ one, I would get at least an 80+ bronze from a better company

sirius3100

(03-03-2015, 03:06 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like a good system, but the PSU is just an 80+ one, I would get at least an 80+ bronze from a better company
I won't use the system very often and thus a better PSU isn't really warranted to save on power consumption. A more efficient PSU would of course also produce less heat, but I already went a bit over my intended budget. Most bequiet-PSUs are also very good afaik. It's one of the brands we often recommend at a german board where I'm helping with hardware recommendations. Of course those PSUs usually deliver more than 300 Watt, and I'm also not really a PSU expert (SSDs are my métier), but I've read a few reviews before I decided to go with the System Power 7.