Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Overclocking Gtx 980 for Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am currently running an FX 8350 with a Gtx 980 and I wanted to see if overclocking the GPU would result in a boost in dolphin as some games suffer performance wise from the weak single core processing of the 8350. I found that unlike all other games I play dolphin greatly benefited from an increase to the memory clock, but there was not discernible difference from an increase to the core clock. This is the opposite of what I typically experience, is there something about how dolphin utilizes the GPU that is different from most games?
The GTX 980 should be fine at default clocks for Dolphin. Make sure the card is actually going into high performance mode. Read the GPU part from here on what to do: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...ance-guide
(03-01-2015, 12:07 PM)St8guy Wrote: [ -> ]I am currently running an FX 8350 with a Gtx 980 and I wanted to see if overclocking the GPU would result in a boost in dolphin as some games suffer performance wise from the weak single core processing of the 8350. I found that unlike all other games I play dolphin greatly benefited from an increase to the memory clock, but there was not discernible difference from an increase to the core clock. This is the opposite of what I typically experience, is there something about how dolphin utilizes the GPU that is different from most games?

Unless you typically use very high internal resolutions (higher than 4x) i don't think overclocking a gtx 980 will benefit much. As you said you have a cpu bottleneck and an unbalanced rig, a mediocre at best cpu for dolphin paired with a great gpu. If i were you i would overclock the 8350 instead if you haven't. As KHg8m3r said above don't forget to set your gpu at high performance in driver settings.