Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Significance of Bus Speed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Xenoblade plays a lot better on my system and about the only thing that changed was my RAM going from 1333MHz to 1600MHz.  Let me explain.

I have a early 2011 Macbook Pro and Apple recently replaced the logic board due to the GPU in it failing.  For whatever reason, they took out the 16GB of 1333MHz RAM I had in it and replaced it with 8GB of 1600MHz RAM.  Before they replaced the logic board my system could not run 1600MHz RAM.  Everything else seems to be the same (same CPU, GPU, etc).

With my old logic board I could not run Xenoblade with per pixel lighting or AA (sometimes I'd even have to lower the resolution or turn off Anisotropic Filtering).  With my new logic board I can run it with per pixel lighting and 2xAA and it's almost always at 30fps.  

So even though I decreased the amount of RAM could the increased speed of the RAM be responsible for so much of a performance boost?  Or am I missing something else that Apple did to my laptop?
Wait, a part fails and their "repair" job includes stealing half your RAM?
You wouldn't happen to remember if you were previously using an older revision of Dolphin, would you? Like using 4.0.2 before the upgrade and using 4.0-5xxx now? Just a sanity check.
(02-28-2015, 01:59 PM)tueidj Wrote: [ -> ]Wait, a part fails and their "repair" job includes stealing half your RAM?

Well it runs faster so I'm not complaining Smile
(02-28-2015, 02:03 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]You wouldn't happen to remember if you were previously using an older revision of Dolphin, would you? Like using 4.0.2 before the upgrade and using 4.0-5xxx now? Just a sanity check.

I've always used 4.0. 

I'm definitely not sane though. 
If your using the iGPU memory speed matters.  I think they got switched video working on later versions of Dolphin.
You should be using the latest dev build, 4.0-5710 as of writing.

They probably gave you a slightly different board, it may have had a different GPU