Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Unofficial Tutorial: Dolphin Cloud saves
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is something I've been thinking about for a while I did a bit of reserach and it should work fine. I will be splitting this into two different sections the first is GAMECUBE second is WII. This tutorial does not work for save states only save files.

BACKUP ALL YOUR CURRENT SAVES BEFORE CONTINUING I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU SCREW IT UP AND LOSE SOMETHING

THIS TUTORIAL WORKS ON WINDOWS PC'S ONLY

UNIVERSAL STEPS

Step 1. Download your cloud file manager of choice. In this example I will be using OneDrive however this could work with box, dropbox, or other cloud services. You will need to install their program and setup a local directory for cloud syncing.

Step 2. Create a cloud save folder in your cloud storage folder. For me example we will be creating 3 I went to C:\Users\Username\OneDrive\ and created 3 folders one for memCard A one for memCard B and one for wii saves (3 folders are not required but it makes things a lot easier to understand). The folders we are creating will be named MemcardA MemcardB and Wii

GAMECUBE

Note: This will need to be done on each computer you want to sync the cloud saves with.

First we need to create a new memory card.
1. Open Dolphin
2. Go to Tools > MemCard Manager (GC)
3. Under memcard A click in the field that says "C:\Users\UserName\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\GC\" and change it to the location of your cloud storage account for this example we will type C:\Users\UserName\OneDrive\MemCardA\MemoryCardA.raw. This will prompt you to create a new memory card please select yes unless you are using a non-us region game.
Note: You cannot just type it out in the field as it will keep asking if you want to create a new save after every letter. Instead copy and paste the full path name with the new memory card name.raw at the end
Note 2: Be sure to add the name of the new memory card not just the file directory. AKA end the directory with the words newMemorycardName.raw (change the text before that to whatever name you fancy)
4. Repeat for memory card B if you want a second card (not required)

Now we will set dolphins save location to the new memory card.
5. Exit the Memory card manager and go to Options>Configure>Gamecube
6. Under "Slot A" click the ... button and browse to the location of your new memory card. Click the memory card and then click open.
7. Repeat for slot B if you created a second card (not required)

Congratulations your installation of dolphin now uses a Gamecube memory card the cloud. When syncing to a new PC you only need to do steps 5 6 and 7 as the memory card will already be created.

Optional: Restore older saves.

1. Repeat steps 1 2 and 3.
2. Go to memory card slot B and click browse. Go to C:\Users\userName\documents\dolphin\GC and select your old memoryCard.
3. Select the games 1 at a time and click <- Copy.

WII

Thanks to the first post I now know an easier way to do this.

Note: This will need to be done on each computer you want to sync the cloud saves with.

Step 1. Open Dolphin
Step 2. Go to options>configure>paths
Step 3. Click browse and go to the location of your cloud storage folder. In my example it would be C:\Users\UserName\OneDrive\Wii
Step 4. Confirm and exit

Optional: Restore old saves
Go to C:/Users/username/Documents/Dolphin Emulator/Wii and copy the contents over to your onedrive/cloud storage wii folder

I will attempt to answer basic questions or clarify any part that confuses someone just ask.
you can set the nand root (wii saves)...

Options > Configure -> Paths . then set wii NAND root
(02-28-2015, 06:11 PM)LPFaint99 Wrote: [ -> ]you can set the nand root (wii saves)...

Options > Configure -> Paths . then set wii NAND root

Thanks updated
Save files themselves aren't that big, right?

I don't see why they don't just add an option to send and temporarily place a users save file into a folder and use it for that specific netplay session.

Just saiyan...