Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: HD graphics for starters + FPS issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Heyya folks.

I'm actually using Dolphin for a while now. Yet I'm not sure, if I'm using the emulator right. I feel like, the games look just like on the Gamecube itself. Means, no hd graphic or what so ever. Am I doing something wrong with the settings? I see Youtube videos with gamecube games in HD and 60 FPS (Mario Sunshine e.g.).

So far I played Paper Mario And A Thousand Year Door. It wasn't really in HD either. Though I heard that you need to have those HD texture pack to improve the graphics. But I'm not sure. I feel like that there's more to that.

Tales Of Symphonia does also look normal. Probably also just like on the Gamecube. I tried to configure things like Anti-A etc. but the graphics stay the same. I really think that there's more to it than "just" hd texture packs.

Also... One thing which bugs me for a while now.. The fps stucks at 50. It never goes 60 fps. I mean my specs should easily handle the emulator and it's games but not sure why it won't go 60 fps.

Hope you guys can help me out there... I tried to search the forums a bit... But it takes a lot of time. So yeah, why not starting a new thread.
If you increase the internal resolution, the quality will go up, 2x is 720p and 3x is 1080p for example, you don't need texture packs to improve quality. If for some reason this doesn't work, maybe you installed dolphin in a location that requires admin privileges and it can't make changes to it's config, you could try re-downloading a fresh version or making sure your documents folder for some odd reason doesn't require admin rights, you could also check your AV while you're at it.
(02-17-2015, 10:45 PM)Zee530 Wrote: [ -> ]If you increase the internal resolution, the quality will go up, 2x is 720p and 3x is 1080p for example, you don't need texture packs to improve quality. If for some reason this doesn't work, maybe you installed dolphin in a location that requires admin privileges and it can't make changes to it's config, you could try re-downloading a fresh version or making sure your documents folder for some odd reason doesn't require admin rights, you could also check your AV while you're at it.

I tried that before. And I don't see a difference sadly. I think it isn't really working for me.

I deleted dolphin on my PC and downloaded and installed the non beta dolphin on my desktop. Then I downloaded the newest beta files and included those in the dolphin folder. So I'm using the current beta build. The other dolphin folder is in the documents folder. Also, the documents folder doesn't require admin rights. I'm using Win 8.1, if that matters.

Nothing really changes, if I try to increase the internal resolution. Not sure what I can do against that. And FPS still stucks at 50 FPS...
Do you have real xfb enabled? Disable it. Also 3D graphics are upscaled not 2D graphics.
Try this:

* Download the latest dev build (4.0-5511 as of this writing) from the official site: https://dolphin-emu.org/download/
* Make a new folder (e.g. Dolphin_DEV) on your drive (just make sure it's NOT in your 'Program Files', 'Documents' or other 'System' folders) and extract the contents of the .7z 'package' into that folder.
* Create a new empty file named portable.txt inside that folder.
* Start Dolphin, configure it as desired, then close it and start it again.
If you want more than 50fps make sure you're not playing PAL games...
I will try it with Mario Sunshine in a few minutes to test it out.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

@Linktothepast, It's disabled. Hmm yeah... But there is literally no difference, when I change internal resolution. Or is it always like that with 2D leaning games?

@tueidj, thats interesting. I didn't know PAL limits fps to 50. Weird... If I use a non PAL game, can I still set up the game language to German? It's not a must. But I would obviously prefer it^^.
It would depend if the game maker decided to include German as an option on their NTSC version, which I think it would be unlikely given Germany is a PAL territory.
Alternatively for gamecube games you can try holding down whatever key is mapped to "B" on the gamepad when starting the game to show the 60Hz prompt (if the specific game supports it).
It seems like HD is working with Super Mario Sunshine. Guess it doesn't really help with 2D games^^. Yeah I guess so. But it's not a big issue if the language is English^^.

Yeah good tip. Thanks.

I think I'm good now. Thank you guys for the quick replies.