Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Nvidia DSR
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Are there any gains to be had with this with Dolphin?
We call it IR...
Well, yes, using it in conjunction with the internal resolution or otherwise, does it make any difference?
Our downsample filter are quite bad as we just use a linear filter, but otherwise it's the same technic.
Nvidia DSR is useless. You can achieve exactly the same thing in Dolphin by setting your IR to 6x in a 1080p monitor, for example, and you can do that in any GPU with enough processing power, unlike nVidia DSR which works only in some GPUs from nVidia...
(02-06-2015, 02:05 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]Nvidia DSR is useless. You can achieve exactly the same thing in Dolphin by setting your IR to 6x in a 1080p monitor, for example, and you can do that in any GPU with enough processing power, unlike nVidia DSR which works only in some GPUs from nVidia...

Well, except that increasing the IR in Dolphin takes a toll on your CPU as well.  Even at 2.5x Native IR I get degraded performance vs window size at 1080p and I have a relatively decent card that I don't think is bottlenecking me for 1600x1320.
(02-06-2015, 03:51 AM)themanuel Wrote: [ -> ]Well, except that increasing the IR in Dolphin takes a toll on your CPU as well.

As far as I heard, nVidia DSR will take a toll on the CPU too since you'll need to choose a higher IR in the app/game you're using to make it work...
(02-06-2015, 07:51 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-06-2015, 03:51 AM)themanuel Wrote: [ -> ]Well, except that increasing the IR in Dolphin takes a toll on your CPU as well.

As far as I heard, nVidia DSR will take a toll on the CPU too since you'll need to choose a higher IR in the app/game you're using to make it work...

Ah, OK.  So it is a glorified SSAA.  So yeah, Dolphin would see a penalty either way since it relies heavily on the CPU.