Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin beyond build 4565 does not start
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(02-06-2015, 08:55 AM)skid Wrote: [ -> ]A build with the fix can be downloaded here:
http://dl.dolphin-emu.org/prs/pr-1984-do...est-x64.7z

I can confirm that the linked build runs on my system. (i.e. GUI showed up, haven't got time to run any games yet).

Thank you.
Sadly not for me though..

Unhandled Exception
Code: 0xC0000005
Call stack info:
Dolphin!0x00AD65CF : ?

Exactly the same, I wonder why Noda's version worked and mine didn't...NVidia?
(02-07-2015, 02:45 AM)AndyDedluck Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly the same, I wonder why Noda's version worked and mine didn't...NVidia?

My apologies, this is getting confusing for me too.
Yesterday i tried ONLY the linked build (4.0.5408-dirty) and the GUI showed up.
Last night, since i noticed there were several builds newer than 5408, i tried them all, and all of them ran fine.

Now here's the crazy thing, today i went back and re-run the builds that were crashing before, and surprisingly they also works now. (!!)
Here's the list of things i did to my system two days ago that might or might not help, but would be great if you would repeat the steps, see if it resolves your issues.

1. ran windows update, a couple of updates for windows defender, nothing really stood out. restart.
2. reinstalled visual studio redist
3. reinstalled directx_jun2010_redist, restart.
4. tueidj said something about 'libusb' so i did some reading, and i seem to recall some usb issues when there are too many 'ghosts' devices in a windows system. Please follow the steps in the following article: http://www.techerator.com/2010/05/how-to...n-windows/
Please note that the article was removing ghost devices under "Mice and other pointing devices", but i also saw a lot of ghost devices in the "Human Interface Devices" category, so i cleaned up that section too. restart afterwards, as usual.

Thanks.
Hi Noda,

OK, I tried them all and I got exactly the same result as before, little blue circle, then nothing except a note in the exception log....so....what is difference I wonder?
I didn't do the visual studio as I don't have that installed ( I don't think) but otherwise, everything else.
I did not find any ghost images from the USB. I did try unplugging everything (except keyboard and mouse)

I wonder if I should hold out until Windows 10? All very odd but at least I can play with the later'ish versions !
(02-08-2015, 07:02 PM)AndyDedluck Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't do the visual studio as I don't have that installed ( I don't think) but otherwise, everything else.
I don't have visual studio installed either, but it's required for dolphin. The "redist" is just a small portion of runtime libraries that users can install on their system without installing the whole visual studio.
See first Q/A in the following thread:
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-re...c-not-work

(02-08-2015, 07:02 PM)AndyDedluck Wrote: [ -> ]I did not find any ghost images from the USB. I did try unplugging everything (except keyboard and mouse)
Two things here:
1. it's unlikely to not have any ghost devices on the system, unless it's a freshly installed windows. Every time you plug in something to the usb, it will leave "ghost" devices around, drivers etc, so that you won't have to reinstall the drivers the next time you plug that device in again.
2. just unplugging it is probably not gonna help because #1 above, the drivers etc are still "registered", but "inactive", and i'm suspecting this is what the "libusb" is having trouble with.

(02-08-2015, 07:02 PM)AndyDedluck Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if I should hold out until Windows 10? All very odd but at least I can play with the later'ish versions !
Can't comment on this since i haven't seen Windows10 in action yet, but doing a fresh OS install is a tad overkill for solving this particular issue.

Thanks.
Noda, you are right !, I won't give up so easily. I'll let you know how I get on.
Visual Studio is in fact not required, maybe you´re referring to Visual C++ Redistributable Package.
(02-10-2015, 06:43 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Visual Studio is in fact not required, maybe you´re referring to Visual C++ Redistributable Package.
You are correct, visual studio is NOT required, and i never said so. Apologies if my statement was giving the wrong idea; the "required" part refers to the "redist" package.

From https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2019667  , The full official name is "Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio", not sure which one dolphin needs; i seem to recall seeing FAQ pages that recommend the "VC++ redist package for Visual Studio 2010", but usually installing the latest one would be best.  

In any case, it was pointed out that it's a libusb issue so it's unlikely that the redist is the source of the problem. I was just enumerating the things i did that suddenly "solved" my issue.

Thanks.

Edit: maybe you can try unplugging any extra usb devices AND uninstalling the "ghost entries" afterwards. I got tons of entries from old keyboards, mice, and a couple of old gamepads.
Well it turns out, I got an app called "Ghostbuster" took out as many ghosted drivers as I could (or dared too), and it made no difference. Downloaded 4.0-5718 out of interest, and presto it loaded first time !!
Honestly I have no idea what changed, but I'm glad it did !

Thanks guys for all the suggestions,

AD
We updated the libusb library used by Dolphin to the latest version (in the Windows build). It was caused by a bug in the old version of libusb we were using.
Pages: 1 2 3