Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Building new PC, is this enough ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

ILSATS

Hi there, as the title says, I'm gonna buy a new PC very soon. But I haven't used Dolphin before so I don't know if it's good enough. Here's what I have in mind:

Main : MSI H97 Gaming 3
CPU : Intel Xeon E3-1231v3
VGA: Asus R9 290 Directcu II
Ram: Gskill 8GB
PSU: Collermaster GX-II Pro 650W
I will not be overclocking.
Also, will a SSD help ? Because I am using SSD for OS and some games.
I'm looking to play Metal Gear The Twin Snakes, Xenoblade, The Last Story and some other RPGs
Ty in advance !
With a base speed of 3.4 Ghz to a max of 3.8, the Xeon is also a Haswell version, so will play most of Dolphins games with no issue. However, The Last Story is the most demanding game in Dolphin, and used to be that it needed an over locked CPU to run full speed, but I'm not sure as to what its current state is, since dolphin has added so many speed ups lately.
Regular HDD are already faster than the Wii/GC optical drive, so you won't really see a speed up if you save them all on an SSD. I would get either a SSD for the OS and then the HDD for storing, or one of those hybrid drives.
TLS can probably be played at full speed due to Dolphin's overclocking feature. I wish someone would make a 60FPS patch for those 30FPS games now that we can overclock/increase IPC.

ILSATS

Ty guys, I got the PC ! I only had time to test Xenoblade and The Last Story for 5 mins each game. I had the setting at 2.5x Native, 8xAA,16xAF. Both game ran at 30 fps. Are they all locked at 30fps ?
The system ran really slow at 3x or 4x Native (15fps on 4x Native). But I'm satisfied at 2.5x Native Big Grin
However, in all cases, Dolphin only used around 30% of my CPU, is this normal ? Would it run better if somehow CPU usage was higher ?
They are both locked 30FPS. The reason Dolphin is only using 30% is because Dolphin by default only uses 2 Cores. (It can use 3 but I don't know how useful LLE on thread is.)
AF at higher resolutions is useless.
Make sure you're running the latest drivers for everything: GPU get the Omega drivers, CPU go to Intel driver update site to make sure you have the latest management software, and Windows update for any optional updates.
(02-02-2015, 04:19 PM)DatKid20 Wrote: [ -> ]They are both locked 30FPS. The reason Dolphin is only using 30% is because Dolphin by default only uses 2 Cores. (It can use 3 but I don't know how useful LLE on thread is.)

It is very useful for any games that require lle audio to get speed back.
Before LLE on thread didn't really do anything to really help performance. Don't know how it is now.
It helps.
(02-03-2015, 07:39 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]AF at higher resolutions is useless.
Make sure you're running the latest drivers for everything: GPU get the Omega drivers, CPU go to Intel driver update site to make sure you have the latest management software, and Windows update for any optional updates.

AF is useless at high resolution..? AF = anisotropic filtering and it's useful at all resolutions. Doesn't really cost any performance, so crank it to 16x.

I think you mean AA = anti-aliasing; at very high resolutions it's quite useless & a real performance killer. Though, supersampling does wonders, even at high resolution it's noticeable (especially for "pixel crawl aliasing").. it's even more of a drag on performance than MSAA - so not recommended.
Pages: 1 2