Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: AMD Phenom II series
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I'm thinking of buying the AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition. I've been in the emulator scene for a while (been following it) and I know Intel's processors are better for emulation. I'm choosing the AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition because of my budget but I'm also able to choose the Q9550. Which one should I choose Price/Performance-wise in Dolphin.

Oh yea, I do want a quadcore. I know a E8400 is the cheapest and best for Dolphin (except for i7 ofcourse).

Thank you!
Now, what kind of memory do you want to use?
DDR2 or DDR3?
If you're going for DDR3 memory, socket 775 won't take much advantage of it, so anything AM3 or Core i5 would be your choice.
If you're planning to buy DDR2 memory (or already have it), then the choice is entirely up to you.
(09-01-2009, 04:00 AM)CacoFFF Wrote: [ -> ]Now, what kind of memory do you want to use?
DDR2 or DDR3?
If you're going for DDR3 memory, socket 775 won't take much advantage of it, so anything AM3 or Core i5 would be your choice.
If you're planning to buy DDR2 memory (or already have it), then the choice is entirely up to you.

Which processor has the best speed on stock on Dolphin? Phenom II 955 Black Edition or the Q9550?
Well, both should perform quite the same on Dolphin, Phenom II 955 should do better in heavy multitasking (idiot fanboys, don't confuse that with raw power), now, if you're looking into minor upgrades in the future (platform life), or better overclocking, get the Phenom II 955.
(09-01-2009, 04:35 AM)CacoFFF Wrote: [ -> ]Well, both should perform quite the same on Dolphin, Phenom II 955 should do better in heavy multitasking (idiot fanboys, don't confuse that with raw power), now, if you're looking into minor upgrades in the future (platform life), or better overclocking, get the Phenom II 955.

Alright sounds good. I'm going with the ATI HD4890, it seems to be good for it's price.

A small question, can I reach full speed on Dolphin, the stable games?
u need to overclock to like 4.0 ghz, most games should run very well, minor slow downs in heavy grafical areas in some games
(09-01-2009, 05:04 AM)krypking Wrote: [ -> ]u need to overclock to like 4.0 ghz, most games should run very well, minor slow downs in heavy grafical areas in some games

Sounds good. What games do you recommened to play on stock speed? Smile

I'd love to play these again on 720p:

Tales of Symphonia
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords

That's about it. I know Four Swords is a bit buggy in Dual Core mode.
not sure about the four swords or symphonia but i know the other 3 will run full speed on your system
(09-01-2009, 05:56 AM)THELUKESTIR Wrote: [ -> ]not sure about the four swords or symphonia but i know the other 3 will run full speed on your system

Alright thanks for letting me know. Wink