Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Graphics Card wont work hard enough -.- laggs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey,
i am trying to play Mario Cart for the Wii, but the Game is lagging (FPS & VPS like to go down to ~40 very often)
This results in Audio stuttering and non-constant gaming-speed.  I have a pretty powerful Laptop and the problem gets tricky there:

I use Nvidia Inspector to see the usage of my Geforce 765M:
on low settings (1*Native, Direct3D11, nothing more) the Framerate likes to go down sometimes (during race & SOME menues); the GPU usage is about 20-40%
on high settings (2,5* Native, Direct3D11, 4*Anti-Alysing...) the Framerate likes to go down sometimes (during race & SOME menues); the GPU usage is about 40-65%'
on ULTRA settings (4* Native, Direct3D11, 8*Anti-Alysing...) the Framerate likes to go down sometimes (during race & SOME menues); the GPU usage is 99%

It seems to me the GPU wont give me the necessary constant 60FPS/VPS I need, but it could if it wanted to...

Does anyone have an idea?
I have already followed so many suggestions from various forums....

Thanks!

My System:
Windows 8.1 64Bit
Dolphin 4.0.2
Intel Core i5-4200m
NVIDIA Geforce 765M
12GB DDR3 1600MHz
keinemusik Wrote:It seems to me the GPU wont give me the necessary constant 60FPS/VPS I need, but it could if it wanted to...

That's probably because the GPU isn't the problem. If you can't get fullspeed on the lowest graphical settings (1x IR, no AA) that indicates that the GPU is not the bottleneck. The GPU is responsible for emulating GC/Wii graphics via hardware acceleration, so only a handful of settings actually affect its performance (largely IR and AA). The rest (a great deal really) is generally up to the CPU, which has to dynamically recompile PowerPC assembly into x86 assembly and execute it. If your CPU is the bottleneck, then it doesn't matter how fast your GPU can run because it'll be waiting on another component before doing its job.

You should really upgrade from 4.0.2. It's old and slow (and notably buggy in comparison to recent changes). Use the latest development builds (not stable builds) from here: https://dolphin-emu.org/download/ The development builds are significantly faster.

Also look into this thread, specifically the CPU portions: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...ance-guide
Thank you Shonumi!
I have installed ThrottleStop.exe and have manually turned the cpu to 3056Mhz. (If I close the Program, does everything change back to normal again?) I also changed the NIVDIA settings of dolphin to "max Performance".

I now get up to 90%, but it's still pretty laggy... (at 1500MHz its about 40%).. I changed graphics to min but there was no grate improvement...

So I guess there is no way to play this game on a Gaming Laptop?
Unless you have separate heat sinks for the CPU and GPU, it's not a true gaming laptop. The 765M usually doesn't come with laptops that have a dual heat sink setup, so you're also probably seeing some thermal throttling.

Are you sure that you're using the 765M and not the Intel HD graphics?

When using throttle stop, closing it gives control back to the system. Also, don't set it to the max turbo, as that is only turbo for one core. Step it down one level to use the dual core turbo boost speed.
yes, im using the 765 (i can see that with the nvidia inspector)
"Thermal Throttling": does this mean it is that slow because my cpu is that hot? (e.g. i just startet the game for a couple of seconds and it was already laggy)

in ThrottleStop.exe i can go up to 31*99,77MHz. I am in "Game" mode. which is the right configuration? (Screenshot attached)
Setting it to 31T makes it run in one core turbo mode. Set it to 30T and see how it runs.
okay, i did so & it's better, but still same issues. Here: https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t...o_Kart_Wii is also exactly the same system & same issues described: "Very playable, though slowdowns in menus with stage previews, the game lags big time when the camera turns at the start of a race (not after that, though), and the audio will crack a lot if <60 FPS. Using OpenGL with 16x Anisotropic Filtering and 2x native resolution (1920x1080 fullscreen resolution). Direct3D proves to be much slower than OpenGL."
Singleplayer during race is ok, 2Player is not.

Any commentary on that?
Hey, i have some amazing/strange results.
With "CPU Control.exe" i can set how many CPUs are working on Dolphin (I got an i5-> 4 CPUs)
With 1 CPU the game is on 100% & VPS are 60, but FPS are about 30 which makes the game like in slow-mo.
With 2 CPU (CPU 1&2) the game is on 70% but FPS are high. It still makes the game's sound crackling.
With 3 CPU (CPU 1&2&3) the game is on 90% but FPS are high. It still makes the game's sound crackling. (best results so far)
With 4 CPU the game is on 70% , still unenjoyable

any thoughts on that?
Are you using the latest build?
yes, and i testet some other games like ssbb & they were just fine..