Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Keeps crashing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Buggaboom90

Huh I know my computer isn't good enough. Running windwaker isn't horrible (unless I'm around heat in game) but it's still slow. And after about 10 minutes of play, it crashes. I assume both issues are my PC and not the emulator. Now, I've been doing research for about a year, and in that time, I have read so much contradictory info that I'm completely confused. What I want to know is what makes my computer not good enough? Some people say it's my RAM. According to wiki, you only need 256 MB. My 4 GB should be fine. Some people say it's my cpu and others say it's the integrated graphics. Dolphin is not far from running perfectly, already. That's why I'm confused about people saying I need some high $ rig when my $300 rig is so close! So can I beef mine up with some RAM or some kind of external graphics card (does that exist?) for better performance or do I HAVE to get a different PC? And If so, why does wiki say Dolphin requires a GFX: Radeon 9500+ series card when the crappy integrated graphics card I have, isn't far off. What is the REAL minimum I can get in a laptop and still get decent gameplay?

Specs (this is straight from computer properties)

Model :Acer Aspire 5733Z
Rating: 4.6
Processor: Intel® Pentium ®
              CPU     P2600 @ 2.13GHz
Installed RAM: 4.00 GB (3.68 GB useable)
System Type: 64 Bit
Quote:What is the REAL minimum I can get in a laptop and still get decent gameplay?
Intel HD 4000 for lowest resolution . Intel HD 4600 barely handle 2x IR in demanding games
Mobile CPU requirement : 2.5GHz Core i3/i5 Ivy Bridge
I'm using latest Core i5 4300M @ 3.2GHz , demanding games don't run well when I use 2.5x IR or higher resolution
Only gaming laptop that has i7 4700MQ or better CPU plus Nvidia GTX 860M or better GPU can run Dolphin smoothly . Gaming laptop like that will cost you an arm and a leg though ($1200)

Buggaboom90

(01-30-2015, 04:10 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:What is the REAL minimum I can get in a laptop and still get decent gameplay?
Intel HD 4000 for lowest resolution . Intel HD 4600 barely handle 2x IR in demanding games
Mobile CPU requirement : 2.5GHz Core i3/i5 Ivy Bridge
I'm using latest Core i5 4300M @ 3.2GHz , demanding games don't run well when I use 2.5x IR or higher resolution
Only gaming laptop that has i7 4700MQ or better CPU plus Nvidia GTX 860M or better GPU can run Dolphin smoothly . Gaming laptop like that will cost you an arm and a leg though ($1200)

Thank-You SOOOOO much! Smile
Btw that real minimum only works on light-weight games like the one you mentioned : Zelda WW
If you want most games to run well , Core i5 / i7 @ 3.0GHz (turbo boost on 2 cores ) and dedicated GPU are required

Buggaboom90

(01-30-2015, 04:54 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Btw that real minimum only works on light-weight games like the one you mentioned : Zelda WW
If you want most games to run well , Core i5 / i7 @ 3.0GHz (turbo boost on 2 cores ) and dedicated GPU are required

OK. The laptop I was looking at is an i3 with 8 gb RAM and I think it was 2.3 GHz. It's my grandmother's and she was going to give it to me. I tried dolphin out on it and it was a LOT faster. I didn't play it long enough to see if it crashed. It stopped crashing on my current laptop but it often gets stuck when I recieve items; not saving as a result. Any suggestions? I'm only interested in Zelda WW, Mario Sunshine, and Zelda Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy for wii. * Offnote.....I'm having difficulty finding a good wii sensor bar for my laptop...any recommendations?
Zelda Twilight Princess (Hyrule Field slowndown) and Super Mario Galaxy are out of the question , you will need a gaming laptop to run these games

Buggaboom90

How about this....?

Screen Size 1 inches
Processor 3.5 GHz FX-Series Six-Core FX-6300
RAM 8 GB SDRAM DDR3
Hard Drive 1024 GB SATA III
Graphics Coprocessor AMD R7 250 2GB
Graphics Card Ram Size 2048 MB
Number of USB 2.0 Ports 6
Number of USB 3.0 Ports 1
Expand
Other Technical Details
Brand Name CyberpowerPC
Series CyberpowerPC Gamer Ultra GUA950A
Item model number GUA950A
Hardware Platform PC
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 8
Item Dimensions L x W x H 19.30 x 7.50 x 16.70 inches
Color Black/red
Processor Brand AMD
Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA-600
Hard Drive Rotational Speed 7200 RPM
Optical Drive Type 24X DVD±RW Dual-Layer Super-Multi Drive
Audio-out Ports (#) 2
That will do the job if you overclock it to 4.5GHz for example . Otherwise , it will be slow for demanding games
Keep in mind that Dolphin is a dual core app , 6 cores are useless and latest AMD FX 4300/6300/8350 are only as fast as 1st gen core i3/i5/i7 . Those CPUs are much slower than latest 4th gen i3/i5/i7
You should build your own PC , that should save you like $200 . Pentium 20th Anniversary G3258 is an extremely good budget CPU . It's a monster of overclocking , G3258 @ 4.6GHz can be on par with high-end i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz in Dolphin Benchmark
Here's a comparable intel i5-4690K build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Y3vxP6

After the rebate,, it's $673, and will thrash that AMD PC in pretty much everything