Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Suggestions for upgrading my PC Please!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am running dolphin reasonably I would say most of the time with the hardware listed in my signature. However, I have to keep my graphics settings quite low and I do get some stuttering and low frame rates on the more demanding games. I am wanting to be able to run full HD quality and smooth as silk. If you were me what would you do to beef up this system to run dolphin and others like PS2 emulation smoother? Upgrade the graphics card vs processor vs building a new system from scratch?? Huh Huh Huh
If you can upgrade the motherboard, then get a new board, CPU, and GPU. You can read here: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-an...or-dolphin to get a good feel for new hardware.
I have to point this out because it just really bothers me when people confuse threads for cores. There is no such thing as a quad core i3, they simply do not exist. You have a hyper threaded dual core which is in both theory and performance, not the same thing as a quad core. It's better than having 2 threads across 2 cores, but it is not the same as having 4 threads across 4 cores. Just wanted to clear that up.

http://ark.intel.com/products/53422/Inte...e-3_10-GHz

The thread KH pointed to is a good place to start gathering information. Your best bet would honestly be to upgrade most of your rig if possible. A Z97 mobo and Pentium G3258 are the best bang for your buck without spending a lot of money, then just find a decent newer video card to replace the one you have. If you have a prebuilt PC you'll probably have to build a new rig all together.

If you do have a prebuilt PC and can't afford to build a new rig, let us know the exact model of your PC and someone would probably be willing to help you look into what options you have as far as that PC goes...but I would still recommend saving up money to build a new rig if that's the case.

Hope this helps.
Get a good cooler overclock that i3 cpu. If you want you can upgrade to the i5 3570. I would just overclock the cpu right now to see if the stuttering goes away or occurs less frequently. If it doesn't go away then upgrade to the 3570. Graphics cards prices are dropping you can pick up higher end card for pretty cheap now. The cheapest r9 290 is only $240 brand new. The $120 750ti or 260x are good enough for emulating. The GTX 660 are in that price range now too and is a stronger card. Just get any card its better than that gts 450.
That CPU has a locked multiplier and is not meant for overclocking. At best you can get an additional 150 MHz out of it through an FSB OC which is absolutely pointless and not worth the risk.
(01-21-2015, 12:04 AM)dolphinuser123 Wrote: [ -> ]Get a good cooler overclock that i3 cpu. If you want you can upgrade to the i5 3570. I would just overclock the cpu right now to see if the stuttering goes away or occurs less frequently. If it doesn't go away then upgrade to the 3570.  Graphics cards prices are dropping you can pick up higher end card for pretty cheap now. The cheapest r9 290 is only $240 brand new. The $120 750ti or 260x are good enough for emulating. The GTX 660 are in that price range now too and is a stronger card. Just get any card its better than that gts 450.

You can't. The i3 is a locked processor.

@ OP, your CPU should theoretically be enough for dolphin, but if you wanted to beef up up performance then upgrading your CPU would be the best decision. Any i5 on the LGA 1155 platform (the one you currently use) would be fine.
(01-21-2015, 11:14 AM)shawking Wrote: [ -> ]Any i5 on the LGA 1155 platform (the one you currently use) would be fine.

Those are upwards of $190 though, but I didn't do extensive searching for the lowest price. I was thinking a G3258 plus a new mobo would be a bit cheaper and yield just as good of results(or better depending on the i5 in question).
(01-21-2015, 11:22 AM)shreduhsoreus Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-21-2015, 11:14 AM)shawking Wrote: [ -> ]Any i5 on the LGA 1155 platform (the one you currently use) would be fine.

Those are upwards of $190 though, but I didn't do extensive searching for the lowest price. I was thinking a G3258 plus a new mobo would be a bit cheaper and yield just as good of results(or better depending on the i5 in question).

You're right. Brand new, the G3258 + 297 would be cheaper than the 1155 i5 CPU.
Thank you guys very much for your input. I noticed the G3258 is a dual core, what if any would be the advantages of the 1155 i5's quad core for dolphin?
Dolphin uses 3 cores max i think so the advantages arent that much.
Pages: 1 2