Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Laptop - Integrated GPU runs better than dedicated - is that normal?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Sparkyidr

Hi there. I'm pretty new to using Dolphin, and have a question/issue.

I am running it on a laptop that has an integrated Intel GPU and a dedicated AMD GPU.

Running Super Mario Galaxy, I see the following results.

Using the integrated GPU, the game runs (most of the time) at 60 fps. With a few sections seeing it slow down to around 45-50. The bottleneck I assume is the GPU, as my cpu is running at around 35%, and holding down tab to disable the frame limiter does nothing. (When it's running at 60, holding tab can get the fps up to around 85).

Anyways, I would have assumed that the Radeon GPU would perform better.. So I set Dolphin to run is "high performance" mode, and away I go.

......but it's way worse.
In the opening area of SMG is running at around 49fps(vps49)..and obviously drops to much worse when stuff is going on.

The cpu is still sitting at 35%, and the Radeon is deffo active (as the fans are very loud on it....and I also checked using the software monitor).

Is this normal?

Using the integrated GPU also doesn't perform great on GC games...but still better than the AMD.

I should point out that the above is using 1 x native as the resolution, running at 1280x720 on my old TV via hdmi.
The laptop processor is an i7-4510U, the AMD is a Radeon R7 M260(2gb), the Intel is an HD 4400.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is this "expected"

Thanks for reading.
Have you followed this guide: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...ance+guide

Also, are you running the latest 14.2 amd drivers?

What happened when you use a build before 4.0-5143?

Sparkyidr

(01-20-2015, 02:52 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Have you followed this guide: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...ance+guide

Also, are you running the latest 14.2 amd drivers?

What happened when you use a build before 4.0-5143?

Hi there. Yes, I had already checked out that thread earlier. The only thing I am not messing with is "throttlestop". But like I say, the cpu doesn't seem to be the issue....seems to be a GPU bottleneck right?)
And yes, I am on the latest catalyst drivers and whatnot.
I'm kinda happy running in the integrated at 1xnative.....but just seemed odd that performace was worse with the Radeon.
(Would be nice to be able to run at a better res tho) Smile

Also, the results were the same running a build from a couple of weeks back.
Also check out the AMD/ATI GPU Performance Guide:

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...ng-dolphin
Download throttlestop, and then run Dolphin and take a screenshot of what throttlestop after a few minutes when the game feels slow. It's possible that you aren't running in sustained Turbo mode when the Radeon gets activated.

Probably not just the GPU, but the overall system. Go do a search for Intel Driver Update Utility, download and run, and make sure you aren't missing any updates.

Sparkyidr

Thanks guys. Will have a look over that stuff, and see how I get on. Smile

Sparkyidr

Have played around with settings some more (specifically for the Radeon)...but nothing much has changed.

I ran Throtlestop 6...
Have attached a screen shot of it running after Dolphin had slowed down to sub-40fps for a while...using the Radeon in "High Performance" mode....not really too sure what I am looking at there to be honest Wink
[attachment=12779]
That shows your CPU running at 2.79 Ghz, which is NOT the max you can hit with your CPU. Put the set multiplier to 30T, and then hit Turn On in the bottom right corner and see if that helps, which will put you into max dual-core turbo mode.

Because what's most likely happening is that you have a multi-media laptop, where the Intel CPU and the AMD GPU share a heatsink. When the AMD card gets used, a lot of heat is being released, and has to throttle back the CPU and GPU. When you just use the Intel HD, the amount of heat that is being produced is much lower, so you can keep up the sustained Turbo mode needed for Dolphin.

To fix this, you'll probably have to open up the laptop and apply better thermal paste. While this will helps, you'll probably experience some thermal throttling because your PC was not designed to handle the intense load that Dolphin throws at both the CPU and GPU