Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How well would an FX 6300 work for Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My current CPU is an A6-3620 overclocked from 2.2 GHZ to 2.8 GHz. Xenoblade lags during large fights and cut scenes with lots of particle effects. Full speed when exploring. As for F-zero GX the game runs at full speed 99% of the time. An FX-6300 runs at 3.5 GHz so i assume it will get good performance for alot of games. I also want to try these games on my current setup but I haven't got around to it but once I do i will post the speed if needed.

Kirby's Air Ride
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
Monster Hunter Tri
Sanic Colors
Kirby Return to Dreamland
AMD CPUs in general aren't the best for Dolphin because of their poor IPC and performance in applications that don't utilize all of the cores. It would work better for Dolphin than what you currently have, but if you want the best performance without spending much money you would be better off switching to a Z97 mobo and Pentium G3258, which would blow away that FX-6300 in all aspects aside from extreme multitasking(and even that might be debatable).
(01-19-2015, 11:48 AM)shreduhsoreus Wrote: [ -> ]AMD CPUs in general aren't the best for Dolphin because of their poor IPC and performance in applications that don't utilize all of the cores. It would work better for Dolphin than what you currently have, but if you want the best performance without spending much money you would be better off switching to a Z97 mobo and Pentium G3258, which would blow away that FX-6300 in all aspects aside from extreme multitasking(and even that might be debatable).

Thanks for your reply the reason im getting an FX-6300 is because it's better for gaming than any other Intel CPU at the same price. I think for the games I want to play it should work fine.
At at lower price point, if you're only interested in Dolphin, the G3258 will be the best option since it can overclock to the same level as the i5-4690K and i7-4790K, and the Dolphin performance will be almost the same. You can also get Broadwell CPUs when they come out and drop it into a Z97 board.

If you also want to play PC games, I would go with the i3-4150, as it has great Dolphin performance and will be better than the FX 6300 in PC games.
(01-19-2015, 01:40 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]At at lower price point, if you're only interested in Dolphin, the G3258 will be the best option since it can overclock to the same level as the i5-4690K and i7-4790K, and the Dolphin performance will be almost the same. You can also get Broadwell CPUs when they come out and drop it into a Z97 board.

If you also want to play PC games, I would go with the i3-4150, as it has great Dolphin performance and will be better than the FX 6300 in PC games.

For the Pentium G3258 what would be a safe level to overclock to with he stock cooler?
From what I've read on the internet, people have reached 4.6 Ghz before on it.
I've heard the same. 4.2-4.4 is most common but with good airflow(and a better cooler) the logical limit is 4.8 from tests I've seen, which is insane.