Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Twilight Princess Xbox 360 Controller Set up (Gamecube button layout)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

DeiTy93

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows where i can find button maps for a 360 controller for the gamecube version of twilight princess? thanks!
You could always map it yourself Tongue
On Windows 7 its:
C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Config\Profiles\GCPad\ztp.ini

Code:
[Profile]
Device = XInput/0/Gamepad
Buttons/A = `Button A`
Buttons/B = `Button B`
Buttons/X = `Button X`
Buttons/Y = `Button Y`
Buttons/Z = `Trigger L`
Buttons/Start = Start
Main Stick/Up = `Left Y+`
Main Stick/Down = `Left Y-`
Main Stick/Left = `Left X-`
Main Stick/Right = `Left X+`
C-Stick/Up = `Right Y+`
C-Stick/Down = `Right Y-`
C-Stick/Left = `Right X+`
C-Stick/Right = `Right X-`
Triggers/L = `Shoulder L`
Triggers/R = `Shoulder R`
Triggers/L-Analog = `Thumb L`
Triggers/R-Analog = `Thumb R`
D-Pad/Up = `Pad N`
D-Pad/Down = `Pad S`
D-Pad/Left = `Pad W`
D-Pad/Right = `Pad E`
And that's a terrible way to arrange it! Transferring the buttons 1:1? Have you seen the controllers?

[Image: 450px-GCController_Layout.svg.png] [Image: 300px-Xbox360_controler_face.jpg]

Their button layouts aren't even remotely similar! The GameCube X is the right most button, yet on the 360 Controller it's the left most button! It's literally flipping everything backwards!

I go with this arrangement:

GameCube A -> 360 A
GameCube B -> 360 X
GameCube Y -> 360 Y
GameCube X -> 360 B

It creates something that feels like a gamecube controller, at least to me, with the A button central to the rest of the controller buttons.

Others go with this setup.

GameCube A -> 360 B
GameCube B -> 360 A
GameCube Y -> 360 X
GameCube X -> 360 Y

That's the SNES style. It's easy to use if you use Nintendo controllers a lot, but it's very different in feel compared to the original.

Both layouts are legitimate and have their favorites. Just please, don't map the buttons 1:1! It is a crime against controllers!
(01-16-2015, 01:50 PM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]I go with this arrangement:

GameCube A -> 360 A
GameCube B -> 360 X
GameCube Y -> 360 Y
GameCube X -> 360 B

To me that's the most logical arrangement, and the one that I used to use also before I bought a GameCube controller USB adapter.
As you say mapping it 1:1 is a crime against controllers.
All my friends need theirs mapped 1:1, where I play SNES style
See, I've barely ever used a real GameCube controller, but have used a 360 pad a lot. Most games will say 'press X' and I'll press X and it'll do exactly what I expect. I used to have my standard mapping off location, but had to switch it to name because I'd always press the one with the right name.
Well I already know the Xbox 360 Controller buttons by memory to me this feel very natural arranging it any other way would be far to confusing (I mean to remember that b = x and x = b feels odd for the exception of Z Button that could be changed to = `Trigger R`). I mapped it 1:1 to resemble 360/PC games in general.
In fact, I've tried using a Wii classic crontroller before, and gone for XBox button locations based on names as opposed to the right buttons. Most of the time it'd advantageous to go for names if the game doesn't mind about the location of the buttons (e.g. only games where B was left attack and X was right attack or similar).