Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Ubuntu boot disc with Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'd like to try the Ubuntu 64-bit version of Dolphin but as it's just for experimental purposes I don't want to repartition my hard drive (not yet anyhow!). It currently has installed Windows 7, 32-bit.

Bearing that in mind, what is the easiest way to create a Ubuntu boot CD/DVD with a recent build of Dolphin (and a game) which I can boot from to try it out?

Perhaps there is already an ISO which will do this? (I haven't been able to find one).

Or should I just create a Ubuntu boot CD/DVD and once it's booted load Dolphin from a USB stick?

(BTW, my PC is capable of running 64-bit O/S, apps, etc - I know it's not really up to spec for Dolphin, I just want to see how it can cope with a recent build).
Is there a reason you don't want to use windows 7 64-bit?
The common ubuntu boot disc allows you to install whatever you want (and fits into your ram). So it's just easy to enable the custom dolphin ppa (or to complie yourself) within a live system.
(01-14-2015, 12:10 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a reason you don't want to use windows 7 64-bit?

There's a few reasons:

a) I can't afford it

b) My PC is pretty borderline for running Dolphin, and upgrading the hardware is not affordable for me right now

c) Because of the above, for now I just want to try a Ubuntu disc boot to see how well Dolphin runs on my current hardware. If it's fairly acceptable (unlikely!) I'll maybe create a Ubuntu partition and install it there.

Basically though, it all comes down to cost issues. I'd love nothing more than to upgrade my PC to something really excellent.
(01-14-2015, 12:13 AM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]The common ubuntu boot disc allows you to install whatever you want (and fits into your ram). So it's just easy to enable the custom dolphin ppa (or to complie yourself) within a live system.

Thanks, I'll download the Ubuntu 13.04 ISO (AMD64 version) from here:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/13.04/

and give it a shot.
13.04 is quite old. Your GPU would love more up-to-date drivers,
(01-14-2015, 01:48 AM)YellowWii Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-14-2015, 12:10 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a reason you don't want to use windows 7 64-bit?

There's a few reasons:

a) I can't afford it

b) My PC is pretty borderline for running Dolphin, and upgrading the hardware is not affordable for me right now

c) Because of the above, for now I just want to try a Ubuntu disc boot to see how well Dolphin runs on my current hardware. If it's fairly acceptable (unlikely!) I'll maybe create a Ubuntu partition and install it there.

Basically though, it all comes down to cost issues. I'd love nothing more than to upgrade my PC to something really excellent.

You already have a Windows 7 key. You can use it to reinstall Windows with a 64-bit disk.
(01-14-2015, 01:52 AM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]13.04 is quite old. Your GPU would love more up-to-date drivers,

Thanks, will try 14.10 then - I was only going for 13.04 as that was the version always referenced on the download page:

https://dolphin-emu.org/download/

But presumably that's the minimum Ubuntu version requirement?

Also, just tried 13.04 but couldn't install Dolphin as it required the library libopenal1, and I couldn't install that due to only booting Ubuntu from a DVD. So anyhow, I'll try 14.10 and if it's still a no go I'll have to think about installing Ubuntu onto my hard drive.