Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is Dolphin overclocking my CPU and GPU?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

max23483

Is Dolphin overclocking my CPU and GPU automaticly? I dont understand this.
No, but they tend to not run full speed unless something is using them which is what dolphin is doing.
No, Dolphin doesn't do any overclocking. Your CPU is probably going into Turbo Boost (google it) because the base clock is too slow to adequately handle Dolphin. Your GPU is probably entering a High Performance Mode of some sort. Either way, it's not that Dolphin is overclocking your hardware; your hardware sees it's doing something demanding and runs faster than normally. Intel and Nvidia designed their hardware to do that, so it's nothing out of the ordinary.

EDIT: ED2, why you gotta post so fast? Sad You sneaky ninja...
(01-11-2015, 08:24 AM)max23483 Wrote: [ -> ]Is Dolphin overclocking my CPU and GPU automaticly? I dont understand this.

If you talking about the setting "Overclock" in dev build. That's GC/Wii processor related, not your cpu.

I quote Fiora [color=#596063]"[/color][color=#596063]Won't work with all games, but provides a nice way to spend extra CPU to make
a variable framerate game faster (e.g. Spyro or The Last Story), or to make
a game use less CPU at the cost of a lower framerate (e.g. Rogue Leader)."
[/color]