Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can this gaming laptop deliver?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been eyeing the MSI GS60 Ghost Pro for quite some time and have been wondering if I could play games at 60 frames such as Starfox Adventures, F-Zero GX, and Metroid Prime on this model with the latest dolphin: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6834152656. The settings on the games can be what equates to low/med on others. In other words, something like 1x or 2x IR is okay with me. Yes, I find the lowest possible settings, if at 60 frames, playthroughable in my eyes. It doesn't look that bad right?

Specs:
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M 3GB
- Intel Core i7 4710HQ (2.50GHz) (Also, I read of cpuboss that this can overclock to 3.5 GHz, I'm a noob to overclocking, but I can learn.)
- 12GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD
- Windows 8.1 64-Bit

Any answers would be great. Thanks in advance.

Also, if this will not cut it even when overclocking, can anybody steer me in the direction of another laptop that can with around the same budget?
Let me give you some advice, never overclock a laptop cpu. They do not have the cooling capabilities to overclock well.

The i7 4710HQ is a good choice for dolphin and it turbo boosts by itself to a higher clock speed so don't worry about that.

Seems pretty overpriced though..
(12-31-2014, 06:54 AM)yl-smash Wrote: [ -> ]Let me give you some advice, never overclock a laptop cpu.  They do not have the cooling capabilities to overclock well.

The i7 4710HQ is a good choice for dolphin and it turbo boosts by itself to a higher clock speed so don't worry about that.

Seems pretty overpriced though..

Is there any laptop with the same specs with a much lower price? Also, will I expect very, very playable framerates on the games I listed? Idc if I have to play on low-ass settings, as long as they run at 60 frames solid, I'm good.
Well, it's a gaming laptop (different from the Multimedia Laptops that overheat even at stock speed), that one may be overclockable. This probably explains the price difference too...
(12-31-2014, 09:19 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]Well, it's a gaming laptop (different from the Multimedia Laptops that overheat even at stock speed), that one may be overclockable. This probably explains the price difference too...

How about a 17 inch laptop which supposedly has better cooling? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

Specs:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 8GB
Intel Core i7 4710HQ (2.50GHz)
16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD
Windows 8.1 64-Bit

Will I be able to emulate the listed games at 60?
Should be enough.
(12-31-2014, 09:41 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Should be enough.

Seriously? 60 frames solid? For both laptops?! That's a relief. Thanks for the info guys. If you guys have any better suggestions of the same budget I'd be glad to hear it.
Both are almost the same, it´s only the GPU what differs.
(12-31-2014, 10:55 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Both are almost the same, it´s only the GPU what differs.

If you don't mind me asking what is the difference in terms of frames or graphic settings between the two GPUs that I'm looking at here?
Laptop Performance Guide
i5 / i7 has turbo boost feature . Overclocking is unnecessary , turbo boost will boost CPU clock automatically (2.5->3.4GHz for example)
OEM gaming laptop like MSI is overpriced , the cooling unit is still cheap , not worth it
BTO laptop ftw ! (Customizable one)
Full HD 17" i7 4710MQ @ 3.4GHz + GTX 870M
You must choose "Special Upgrade Package" - "the Cooling Package" = IC Diamond Thermal Compound + Copper Cooling Upgrade ($94.00 Value!) when you customize that laptop . You can choose GTX 970M for +180$ (870M is default GPU)
GTX 870M is Dolphin killer . 970M is just overkill . Unless you want to run game at insane resolution with alot of AA , 970M will not be the good choice for you
Of course , you can choose a faster CPU like i7 4810MQ (2.8->3.8GHz) for +135$
Pages: 1 2