Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Ripping ROMs out of .wad files--other formats?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I know this isn't exactly Dolphin-related, but we have a howto on it on the forums, so I'm going to assume it's OK to ask here (if not, sorry). I have a JP .wad of The Legend of Zelda for Famicom, and I want to know how to rip the ROM from it. The instructions on the howto did not work for an FDS game, which I expected, but I'd like to know if this is possible/if anyone could give me some help for info. Thanks.
From what I understand, some of the NES VC titles didn't have a lot of significant changes from the original NES of FDS games (source). I'm willing to bet they'd play just fine in an NES/FDS emulator. If you knew the ROM length in bytes and at what offset the ROM starts in the WAD, you could rip it manually. If you also knew something like, say, the 1st 10 bytes of the LoZ FDS ROM, you could use a hex editor to search for that and get the offset. That's quite manual, however; I'm sure there's a better way to extract it (google is your friend?).
Thanks for the tip--I feel a bit silly not having thought of that myself. I was able to extract the data of the ROM with the exact same length as an actual ROM, but when I try to play it on an emulator, it tells me I have a corrupt FDS block 2. I think what it's trying to tell me is that the B side is incorrect, which might make sense because they did something for the VC release that made it one big file instead of an A side and a B side like an actual disk. Do you have any ideas, or am I SOL?
Personally, I have no idea, but some of the folks as NESdev might (specifically that ShaneM fellow).
Guess I'll start a thread over there, then. Thanks a lot for all the advice.