Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Surface Pro 3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ive been looking into getting a surface pro 3 and was wondering if this emulator would work on it. This is the main version I have been looking:

Microsoft Surface Pro 3
CPU: Intel Core i5 4300U / 1.9 GHZ
Max Turbo Speed: 2.9 GHz
Cores: Dual-Core
Cache - 3 MB
64-bit computing
RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Processor: Intel HD Graphics 4400

Either way I am still getting one but was just wondering, if not will have to get a gaming laptop.
It depends on what games you plan to play. Do you have a list? The SP3 should actually play a number of games quite well (even in HD), but others will still be too much for the CapU to handle. If you can specify some, we can provide you with a better answer.
I know the main one I want to play is "The Legend of Zelda: Twighlight Princess".

- Mario games:
* Regular Mario Games
*Smash Brothers
* Mario Kart
* Mario Party
- Fire Emblem: Radiant of Dawn
- Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2

and a few others (So really this emulator you need a pretty good graphics card and RAM?)
What you need is a strong CPU. Dolphin relies on two CPU cores, one to emulate the GC/Wii CPU, and the other for the emulated GPU before passing to the computer graphics card. It's the opposite of PC gaming.

Your CPU is not great, but it's not horrible. For twilight princess, at base resolution and the hyrule field patch enabled, you may get full speed if you stay in max turbo frequency. Look around our forums for the unofficial laptop performance guide.

Mario games (besides Galaxy) should be fine, Galaxy may have some slowdowns because they're GPU intensive as well as CPU intensive.

Mario kart DD should be fine, Mario Kart Wii might have issues when doing multiplayer.

Smash bros (both of them) should also be fine.

Not sure on fire emblem or marvel.