Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Processor speed beyond which there is little/no benefit?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm (hopefully) replacing my X58A-UD3R/i7 920 (DO) with an MSI Z97-G55/i5 4690k soon, & coupled with a Noctua NH-D14 and extra ram hope to achieve around a 4.4-4.6 stable overclock.. is there a limit beyond which processor/clock speed in Dolphin becomes moot as far as performance gains go?
Nobody knows. There's been theories but no concrete proof.
On my 2600k at least, haven't noticed any difference between 4.0GHz and 4.2GHz
Try 4.0ghz and 4.4ghz. There will most likely be a bigger change. Of course the change won't show if you use the framelimiter.
(12-21-2014, 10:53 AM)Klauskinski Wrote: [ -> ]I'm (hopefully) replacing my X58A-UD3R/i7 920 (DO) with an MSI Z97-G55/i5 4690k soon, & coupled with a Noctua NH-D14 and extra ram hope to achieve around a 4.4-4.6 stable overclock.. is there a limit beyond which processor/clock speed in Dolphin becomes moot as far as performance gains go?

The point would be when your processor 100 percent negates any emulation slowdown.
Which is impossible unless someone adds the feature to over clock the Wii CPU.
Upgrade from an i7 to an i5 ? Seriously ?
Just buy a cheap Asrock B85 Anniversary + i7 4790k . With 4.4GHz turbo speed , you don't even need that expensive aftermarket cooler and mobo that support overclocking
(12-21-2014, 10:53 AM)Klauskinski Wrote: [ -> ]I'm (hopefully) replacing my X58A-UD3R/i7 920 (DO) with an MSI Z97-G55/i5 4690k soon, & coupled with a Noctua NH-D14 and extra ram hope to achieve around a 4.4-4.6 stable overclock.. is there a limit beyond which processor/clock speed in Dolphin becomes moot as far as performance gains go?

It depends on the game.  If you were to consider the total GameCube and Wii library, there is still no limit on the CPU but a 4690K would be getting close to the limit Smile