Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Frame rate gets cut in half at seemingly random times
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

kyledawg92

It happens while playing both Project M and Melee. Frame rate goes from 60 FPS to about 30 for several seconds at a time. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm in the menu or if there's a bunch of stuff happening on-screen.

Occurs every 3 minutes or so. I usually don't have anything else running while playing either. PC specs in profile. Using 4.0-652 which is a netplay build.
(12-19-2014, 07:37 AM)kyledawg92 Wrote: [ -> ]It happens while playing both Project M and Melee. Frame rate goes from 60 FPS to about 30 for several seconds at a time. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm in the menu or if there's a bunch of stuff happening on-screen.

Occurs every 3 minutes or so. I usually don't have anything else running while playing either. PC specs in profile. Using 4.0-652 which is a netplay build.

Framerate cut in half randomly most of the time -> vsync due to fps drops usually.
This happens in Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes a lot. With Vsync off, I get 60fps all the time, but I get screen tearing. Vysync eliminates all the tearing, but it also drops my framerate from 60 to 30 quite often, making it appear like some massive slowdowns. If I get 60fps with vsync off, how come I can't achieve the same with vsync on? MGS TS so far seems to be the only game with this issue. All other games still run properly with vsync on.
What's the refresh rate of your monitor? Doesn't enabling vsync automatically cap your FPS at half the monitor's refresh rate (30 fps for a 60 Hz monitor), unless you enable triple buffering in your GPU driver?

kyledawg92

I had vsync off originally. Tried it with it on and it had the same behavior.

I tried timing it too see how often it occurs. Not 100% sure about this but the interval between slowdowns seems to increase the longer I play. At first it was like every 80 seconds and it slowly became every 120 seconds.

Also, the slowdowns occur without fail. There's never like a 5 minute period where it doesn't happen, nor will it happen like 20 seconds after the prior one. It stays consistent.
It's your CPU. AMD FX CPUs are very weak when it comes to single threaded performance.