Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dumping on Mac?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
One of my sister's, -a-hem- fellow robot master's- best friends is going to college next year, and I convinced her to give me her copy of Super Smash Bros. Melee since she won't be using it at all (I may or may not have threatened her with metal blades). How would I go about the dumping process on Mac? Living in the industrial facility for so long, I've forgotten how to use computers in an advanced way. And will I still be able to use the copy on my wii, once it's dumped? I'm new to emulation so I'm sorry if I sound like an idiot. I saw a bumped post for dumping to PC but not to Mac. All help is welcomed with open arms and eviscerated with my awesome metal blades. Thanks.
(12-17-2014, 12:30 PM)Metal Man Wrote: [ -> ]How would I go about the dumping process on Mac?

As far as I know you can't.
Rawdump only works under Windows, and although Friidump is open source, I can't find any evidence that an OSX build exists. If you actually have a Wii, your best option would be to install homebrew on it so you can rip your discs without involving your PC. It's also cheaper this way, since you need to buy a special DVD-ROM drive to rip GC/Wii discs with a PC. The alternative would be to dual boot with Windows or to run a Windows VM under OSX so that you could use Rawdump or Friidump.
There's source code for FriiDump, so you can just compile the program yourself (like some of us on Linux do). I'd advise just sticking with Wii and Homebrew. It's quicker and generally more reliable and doesn't require purchasing a drive that may or may not work for dumping (even DVD-ROM models that are known to work for others mysteriously refuse to work for some).
(12-17-2014, 12:30 PM)Metal Man Wrote: [ -> ]And will I still be able to use the copy on my wii, once it's dumped?
Yes. Dumping just reads data from the disc the regular way, so the disc won't be damaged or anything.
Thanks for all the help!
Is there a tutorial I can use for dumping with homebrew?
Use the all-mighty Google Tongue