Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: I want to start with Doplphin: some questions please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys,

I would like to start to use Dolphin for my pc (I opened a specific thread in hardware session) but I have some questions, can you help me?

1) Is it better that I download the last official version (4.0.2) or the last unofficial (4.0.4603)?

2) Is this the newest compatibility list of the emulator? https://it.dolphin-emu.org/compat/M/ Is it related to the latest unofficial version of the emulator, I think

3) I would like to emulate on my pc those games. Can you confirm that all them can work correctly and without particular problems?

WII GAMES
1. The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword
2. The Legend of Zelda: twilight princess
3. Castlevania Judgment
4. Donkey Kong Country Returns
5. Metroid Other M
6. Mortal Kombat Armageddon
7. Muramasa:the demon sword
8. Punch Out!!
9. Resident Evil 0
10. Resident Evil
11. Samurai Shodown Anthology
12. Super Mario Galaxy
13. Super Mario galaxy 2
14. Super Mario All Stars: 25 anniversary edition
15. Tatsunoko vs Capcom: ultimate All star

GAME CUBE GAMES
1. Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes
2. Soul Calibur 2
3. F-Zero GX
4. Super Smash Bros Melee
5. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
6. The Legend of Zelda: the collector’s edition

4) I have the wii mote+nunchuck (I will not sell it with the Wii console because I need it for Wii U to, and for Dolphin, of course), so can you confirm that I only have to buy this sensor bar:
http://www.mayflash.com/products/nintend.../w010.html

thank you!
1) Use the latest dev build. It's faster and more accurate than the stable build. By the way, the dev builds are official builds. Unofficial means it was compiled by someone other than the official buildbot, so may have odd changes.

2) I'm pretty sure that list is a mixture of stable and latest. If you already have the games, then I'd ignore it and just see what happens if you try stuff, and unless a compatibility rating is really high, I wouldn't trust it when deciding to actually buy games without other verification too.
The Dolphin Bar is awesome.
thank guys

1) if I download the latest build, where can I find the better guide to configure it with default values? In youtube there are so many videos.. do you suggest a guide in particular?

2) if I change the dolphin version, I have to do again every time the total configuration of the emulator? Or it is possible to save in some way the configuration of the emulator?

3) I have the wiimote plus version which was in the initial bundle with wii sports 2, if i'm not wrong. So I think that my wii mote plus version is not a TR...is it correct? If I buy this http://www.mayflash.com/products/nintend.../w010.html, it seems that it is a perfect sensor bar and it doesn't requires any other bluetooth key..is it correct? Or Do I need something else to use Dolphin?

thanks!
The only configuring Dolphin needs is the IR and AA an AF setting to your desired values, as the default settings are good, and each game now has an ini file to temporarily override these settings if they won't work. Just avoid opening settings menus while a game is running, as this can override the ini files.

Since just before 4.0, Dolphin has used a global user directory, so it will keep everything between builds. This means that upgrading is as simple as downloading a new build, extracting it wherever, and running it. It'll keep all your saves and settings, unless the settings required for a particular game have changed.
ehm..sorry, what does it means IR, AA and AF? Can you tell me the names of the tab on the emulator you are talking about, please?

well, If I download a new build, I have to extract it in the same folder of the older version and it will overwrite all the files/folders but it will not overwrite the the ini files of the settings I have saved before?

thanks
Probably the only place you shouldn't extract a new Dolphin build is right on top of another. Anywhere else should be fine. If you want to do a direct replacement, then delete the old build's folder first, as there's none of your data in there - it's all stored under My Documents/Dolphin Emulator/

IR, AA and AF are all under the enhancements tab of the graphics menu. Basically they make games prettier than on the Wii.
ah ok, it's clear now! all the settings are saved in My Documents/Dolphin Emulator/ so it isn't deleted at every build update, very well!

1) I have also discovered that I can also install in dolphin the games in .wad format, is it true? do they work? for example Castlevania Rebirth and MegaMan 10?

2) Here it is described how to solve some problems: https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t...Wind_Waker Well, If I check enable cheats", then where I have to insert the code described in the wiki page I linked before?

3) I have opened a topic in the hardware section because I would like to buy a pc only to emulate all the consoles. I know that Wii (Dolphin), Dreamcast (Demul) and Ps2 (PCSX2) are the emulator which need more power and I have requested some informations about the best configuration I can buy in order to emulate all the consoles in the better way. A question: do you know if Dolphin works with Windows 8.1 (64bit) too? Or is it better to buy Windows 7 (64bit)?

thank you for your help!
1) Yes Dolphin reads .wad file formats, afaik these files are associated with channels to the Wii menu.

2) Right click the game in Dolphin and go to the properties tab. Then go to AR Codes tab, click add button and enter a title for the code. Next type in the actual code and hit ok once your done.

3) Yes Dolphin works with Windows 8.1, I have the same OS and it's fine.
thank you very much!
Pages: 1 2