Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: i3-4130 good enough for 1080p dolphin gaming?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Im looking at this PC for only 330 bucks, it has an i3-4130 and 4 gb or ram. I assume the i3-4130 will sufficient enough for dolphin, but I think the resolution output depends solely on the GPU. If i buy this PC,

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-VX2631-UR11-D...295&sr=1-9

and put say, a GTX 650, will it be sufficient enough to run games at 3x native resolution?
The GPU determines at what resolution you can play without creating a GPU-based bottleneck, yes. Assuming the GPU is not the bottleneck (e.g. with the lowest graphical settings possible, 1x IR and no AA) generally the CPU is responsible for the bulk of Dolphin's performance. The GTX 650 should be good enough for 3x IR in most games, no problems there, but if you encounter CPU intensive games or CPU intensive Dolphin settings, you still might not get fullspeed since the CPU becomes the bottleneck. Some games (like Super Mario Galaxy) are GPU intensive, so 3x IR might not be possible under every circumstance in a game like that

Thankfully, the i3-4130 will run many games just fine if you use the latest development builds (not 4.0.2!). Without any specific games in mind, we can't tell you much more than that. If you have a list we can tell you how it should perform. But the short, quick answer is: you should be fine for most games.
If anything, I would go for the 750 Ti, cause it's newer, has better performance, and uses less power

But otherwise the CPU and the rest of it looks fine.
(12-10-2014, 01:42 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]The GPU determines at what resolution you can play without creating a GPU-based bottleneck, yes. Assuming the GPU is not the bottleneck (e.g. with the lowest graphical settings possible, 1x IR and no AA) generally the CPU is responsible for the bulk of Dolphin's performance. The GTX 650 should be good enough for 3x IR in most games, no problems there, but if you encounter CPU intensive games or CPU intensive Dolphin settings, you still might not get fullspeed since the CPU becomes the bottleneck. Some games (like Super Mario Galaxy) are GPU intensive, so 3x IR might not be possible under every circumstance in a game like that

Thankfully, the i3-4130 will run many games just fine if you use the latest development builds (not 4.0.2!). Without any specific games in mind, we can't tell you much more than that. If you have a list we can tell you how it should perform. But the short, quick answer is: you should be fine for most games.

Well I want to play Xenoblade Chronicles, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, The Last Story, Wind Waker, and F-Zer0 GX. Right now I have an A6-3620, which can run Xenoblade fine for the most part, it will lag at certain areas and fights with large number enemies, (5 or more). Since Dolphin is better optimized for Intel CPus, I think the Core i3-4130 will run Xenoblade Chronicles just fine.

I tried F-zero GX, but it lags once I enter a race. Also Wind Waker runs fine for the most part with few hiccups. Haven't tried any other games.
It's not that Dolphin is optimized for Intel, it's that Intel has faster single core speeds, which Dolphin being a dual-core program, gets a good speed boost out of. So you could say that in a way, Intel optimzed for Dolphin Tongue

You should be fine for Xenoblade, FE,Wind waker, and F-zero. However, the Last Story is probably the most demanding game to play in Dolphin. I remember at a point in time of the early 4.0-dev builds/4.0.2, you needed to have an overclocked i5-467(9)0K/i7-477(9)0K/G3258. The latest dev builds are way faster, accurate, and stable, but I'm not sure where The Last Story currently sits in terms of requirements for CPU
750 ti is a must for budget builds as I learned from KHg8m3r. It is an awesome card and the games I've played (nsmb/ssbb/wind waker/smg) work great at 1080p resolution with some graphic enhancements turned on (if you care for those, I personally don't). With the 750 Ti, I also noticed temperatures not go above 40 degrees, and I only have 3 120mm fans inside the case.
(12-10-2014, 03:45 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]It's not that Dolphin is optimized for Intel, it's that Intel has faster single core speeds, which Dolphin being a dual-core program, gets a good speed boost out of. So you could say that in a way, Intel optimzed for Dolphin Tongue

You should be fine for Xenoblade, FE,Wind waker, and F-zero. However, the Last Story is probably the most demanding game to play in Dolphin. I remember at a point in time of the early 4.0-dev builds/4.0.2, you needed to have an overclocked i5-467(9)0K/i7-477(9)0K/G3258. The latest dev builds are way faster, accurate, and stable, but I'm not sure where The Last Story currently sits in terms of requirements for CPU

Also do you know just exactly how much better an I3-4130 is compared to an A6-3620?
Someone actually listens to me?!? :O
The i3 will dominate the A6