Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Crashes Randomly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

GrumpyFox

Hello everyone,

First off, this is literally my first time using dolphin, so bare with me.

My friend recently gave me a copy of Loz: WW and it opens up and runs fine..... for a few minutes, then dolphin will randomly crash. Sometimes it will play fine for 10 minutes, sometimes.... 2 minutes.

Right now I am just arriving at the forsaken fortress for the first time in the game, for those who know what I'm talking about, and I can't even get through the cut scene without it crashing. I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

I have a pretty beefy PC so I don't feel like my computer is unable to handle it (see full specs below). My RAM usage normally hovers around 6GB used of 16GB (doing other things in the background, chrome is open for cloud printing, etc) and when the game is running it really only goes up to 6.9GB anyway. CPU usage barely budges when the game is started and doesn't really move during. Maybe I have something set wrong?

I originally had the graphics settings cranked up to make the game look better, and tried going back to the defaults to see if that changed anything, but nothing seems to work anymore.

My dolphin program files are stored in it's own folder on my desktop, as I have learned through looking around that that might be a better way to run it.

I just started getting into the habit of saving constantly, but like I said, now I can't even get through a cut scene.

Here are my machine specs:
========================================
Machine: ASUS ESSENTIO CM6870
Storage: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB
RAM: 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz (3.9GHz Turbo Boost)
GPU: ATI/AMD Radeon R9 270X w/ 4GB GDDR5 SDRAM

Attached are the settings I have set for the game right now, I cranked everything back up since it didn't seem to matter. If these settings are problematic, please let me know what I SHOULD have them set at. Also I've attached the game title bar for the info that is displayed there.

Any help or suggestions would be REALLY appreciated. After a long time of struggling, I finally got my Gamecube controller adapter to work and now I'm met with this. Just my luck >.<

Thanks again in advance! Big Grin
Try disabling vsync. You didn't take a screenshot of the framelimit, but make sure the framelimit is set to Auto. You can disable the External Framebuffer too.
* Disable Per-Pixel Lighting
* Use DSP-HLE for audio
* Try the Direct3D graphics backend
This sounds exactly like the issue I've been having :

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-appcrash--37865

Next time I get a crash I will post Dump on my post.

GrumpyFox

Disabling Vsync seems to have fixed it. Played for a good hour with no crashing. Framelimit was already on auto.

Thanks for your help. Will update is anything changes.

GrumpyFox

Nnnnnope. Nevermind not fixed.

I'm not really sure what is going on now. First it just went back to its old crashing ways. I ended up downgrading back to a stable build (4.0.2) and that made things pretty confusing.

It'll either, run the game, but run it horribly laggy at a 52%. Or the audio will be choppy as all hell but the game will play fine. I didn't really give either scenario much play time, as it was just awful to deal with, so I'm not really sure if the crashing issue is still present.

I've attached all my settings again. 

I just want to play Zelda. Is that so wrong? ;_;

(Thanks again for your help in advance.)
if it's consistently crashing for you, try bisecting the problem and find out when the crashing got introduced.
GrumpyFox: Have you tried a recent build? Rascarcapat's issue has since been fixed.